Reflections on AK Fest 2007

Discussion in 'AKFest 2007' started by bigmacc, Mar 27, 2007.

1. bigmacc

bigmacc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Where do l begin. In no particular order.

Merrylander was our member of the year. Mere words cannot really express what a fine gentleman Rob is. I found out much to my delight that the Yamaha CR 2020 l purchased last year was a Merrylander project. Thank you Rob for being well for being you.

As it has been stated many times Nancy, Linda, Dave and Ernie and help great organization. I also discovered how brilliant Nancy is. Need help at lunch or selling raffle tickets bring in the secret weapon, in this case Nancy's daughter. While l am at it Nancy's son Matt what a great guy, always working helping out. I am sorry l forgot Matt's friend who also contributed.

For those who didn't attend if possible try to come to AK Fest 2008. The depth of audio knowledge is, look l cannot decribe it. AK has men and woman doing amazing things in regards to equipment. Squidward, Kegger, Markus 111 build stuff that is simply wonderful sounding. The AK members always there to help out and share their knowledge.

Do you like tubes? I look forward every year to debating Nos Values (actually there is no debate) on the sound of tubes. I spend more time listening to his amps than anywere else. I have stated this before you could take Nos Values amps and triple the price to $6000, put a Krell face plate on them and get them reviewed by Stereophile and then they would be declared an audio bargin of the ear. At their present price they are now truly a deal.

The AK site has members Echowars. Kegger. Merrylander, Nos Values,Squidward etc that can repair almost everything in fact if they cannot do it well it is not do able.

It is impossible to visit all the demo rooms and l cannot seem to get by the individual members setups. I know there is lots of great new stuff but damn those vintage speakers still sound great to my ears. I managed not to buy any more stuff this year. Enjoyed the swap room but do not thing l will do it next year, it is a lot of fun but not enough time to do selling and visiting.

I always feel a little down after the Fest. I regret that the time is so short while realising that life's duties means l cannot spend all the time playing. I truly enjoy meeting all the members who come to the Fest. It realy adds to the postings here on the site.

I wonder since l praised Squidward do you think l can scam his cigar pre-amp? Do you think Markus 111 will move on to another project and dump the impressive speakers he built for this year? Maybe Nos Values has an extra set of amps he needs to dump? I almost forgot Billfort he should sell his old turntable? Well l got to go work on some deals. :thmbsp:

For all those members who have wondered about AK Fest and considered coming, do yourself a favour and get there next year.

After you register ask for Big "Have l Got a Deal For You" Macc.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. merrylander

merrylander AK Member

Macc the pleasure was all mine, oh, and this morning I looked at the LPs I got from you (I just grabbed them without inspection at the Fest) - excellent surface, great bargains indeed.

Rob

3. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Meeting Macc each year at the fest is always a highlight for me. He is indeed a true friend and excellent example of what Audiokarma has to offer.....even if he is a Canuck ! :)

By the way thank you for the mug. Its perfect !

Grumpy

4. tentoze

tentoze Twangophile

Mac is like a force of nature- there ain't no stopping him.

5. spkrman57

spkrman57 wrongsideofthetracks

Great time at the Fest

I'm still recovering from trying to pack it all in.

Thanks to everyone who made the Fest possible.

Ron

6. Negotiableterms

Negotiableterms Administrator Staff Member Admin Subscriber

It was great to meet you, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year!

7. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Super Member

Mac -
    Many thanks for all the kindness and endless supply of Canadian libations! So glad you left the thong at home....

8. Army

Army Addicted Member

Ditto and we wouldn't have it any other way!

Mac it was great to see you again, always enjoy spending time with you, especially giving Matt a hardtime ;)

And almost forgot (brain is still mush) thanks for the brews and great bargain on those very clean albums!

I'm already looking forward to the next fest!

9. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Big man, that huge chest can't contain a heart as big as yours. I always look forward to seeing you at the Fest, you and your lovely wife, a woman of exceptional taste...

...in music!:D

Thanks for my albums, as well. Both of them are astoundingly clean and well-preserved.

Seriously, you are a fine man, and I am proud to call you friend.

10. Markus111

Markus111 Big Horns & Many Tubes Subscriber

Glad I was able to see you this year Mac - always a pleasure. I prolly will have new speakers (or something) next year, but I doubt I'll be dumping these any time soon. Right now I'm trying to get my system back together so I can play that "unplayed copy of CCR". :banana:

Markus

11. wajobu

wajobu Boing Boom Tschak Subscriber

bigmacc,

Thanks very much for your post, and here's to coming years at the AK Fest--hope to meet you then.

12. jcmjrt

jcmjrt Addicted Member

Word.

I'm in Ohio now so I can't play those new tunes yet (no turntable here)...but I'm looking forward to it. Nice to see you two again at the Fest!

I'm trying to surf on dial-up and a hinky windows box so I'm just hoping that this gets posted...

13. dmax99

dmax99 Lookin' For Live

Macc, You add a real kick to the fest, So you'd better keep coming to 'em. It just wouldn't be the same without you there...

David

14. Retro Stereo

Retro Stereo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Macc,
    It was great to see you and the lovely Mrs Macc again for the "third" time. You are always one of the highlights of my trip to Detroit and I wouldn't want it any other way. Thanks for being "you" big fella!

Retro

15. merrylander

merrylander AK Member

Amen to all of the above. Once it had been established that I was going to the Fest I must confess that it was to meet fellow AK'ers. I have all the systems that I need and can afford so while it was interesting to see and hear the varrious systems there, I really was not 'auditioning' anything. It was my distinct pleasure to meet all of the members that I did.

Rob

16. Billfort

Billfort Addicted Member

Was great seeing you again Macc, always a highlight of the show for me.

I asked for confirmation again based on your continued doubt - Andrea is my daughter, at least that's the story that Mabeth is sticking too.

Thanks for the great deals on the vinyl and they'll be making a pass over the record cleaner and VPI starting tonight. Now if I could just figure out what to do with that old Sota...