Refoam for Pioneer Woofers...

Rmac587

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
should I put the new foam on the back of the cone or front? This is one of the super fragile Pioneer cones from an S – 910. I've always put The inner ring of the new foam on the front of the cone, but I'm wondering if I should change it up.

The disadvantage is that I created a couple of microcracks when I was cleaning it. I've had this happen before and I patched the back without any problem using guerilla glue and a mesh. That would seem to recommend actually putting the foam on the front where the small cracks would be covered and patching the back. It would reinforce the cracks and hide them. But for future reference, front or back?

Attachments

• IMG_8768.JPG
    IMG_8768.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8769.JPG
    IMG_8769.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 25
I did the HPM-900 woofers and glued the surround to the rear like it was done at the factory. I believe they have the same cone material.

Dan

Well, on one cone I managed at least 3 small cracks. The material is more fragile than Sam Bradford's knees. My solution is one I used on a previous Pioneer HPM-700 woofer: use a small pice of drywall tale as backing and impregnate it with Guerilla Glue. As a result, I had to mount the foam on the front. Repair seems super solid however, and the glue has a slight bit of "give" while being strong. More to come later.

Attachments

• IMG_8772.JPG
    IMG_8772.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8774.JPG
    IMG_8774.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8788.JPG
    IMG_8788.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8786.JPG
    IMG_8786.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well, on one cone I managed at least 3 small cracks. The material is more fragile than Sam Bradford's knees. My solution is one I used on a previous Pioneer HPM-700 woofer: use a small pice of drywall tale as backing and impregnate it with Guerilla Glue. As a result, I had to mount the foam on the front. Repair seems super solid however, in the glue has just a has just a slight bit of "give" that would seem to be beneficial.

Nicely done. At least those microcracks aren't on an airplane wing.

Finished product.

Attachments

• IMG_8788.JPG
    IMG_8788.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8840.JPG
    IMG_8840.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom