Refoaming success!

THOR

Fearless Prophet
Well I finally done it and refoamed 4 pairs of woofers, fixing 3 pairs of speakers. The poor EPI's have languished in my basement for like two years, I think I bought them off Grumpy back in the ole AU days :eek: I don't have a before of the old pioneer party speakers but here they are all done and my son is stoked! I did a pair of 12", two pairs of 10" and a pair of 6 1/2" and man my poor fingers hurt from rubbing all that glue off! Thanks for everyones advice!

Pioneer Quartet 70's

Man, Thor, didn't think anyone had any of those old EPI Magnus speakers anymore!

I found a pair of A2400s in a thrift store, a few months ago.... DUAL 12" WOOFERS per cabinet (!), with the same 6" mid and tweeter as the A11. MAN, talk about SHEER SONIC ATTACK! I refoamed all 4 12s and both 6s, and made a small mod in lengthening the ports (made them about 2.75" long, instead of their previous 1" length), added front-to-back cabinet braces around the woofers, then loosely filled the cabinets with Owens-Corning fiberglass... and man, those things have OUTPUT! Not the same level of refinement as my old EPI M150s, but near- PA-system output levels, with no loss of control. Entertaining, that, sometimes! :guitar: :banana: :rockon:

Regards,
Gordon.
EPI junkie... :p:

BTW, that isn't the original tweeter in those Pioneers, is it? Looks like an Infinity EMIT, from a Kappa series or something similar... didn't think Pioneer ever used a ribbon, except for the HPM "cylinders" and "semi-cylinders"...

Regards,
Gordon.

No the old paper cone tweeters were fried and the opening was too large for any I could find, like a 3 1/2" opening, so the Emits were the onliest ones that fit.

I was amazed at how small the magnets or on the EPI woofs, shows you don't need ahuge magnet to sound fabulous ;)

BTW, I'm planning an insane project using a bunch of vintage EPI parts.

I will, assuming I can finally collect enough drivers, build an open-dipole H- frame LINE ARRAY, using 9 EPI 8" woofers (from M100s, mostly) PER SIDE, lined up vertially. Yes, we're talking a nearly-7-foot-tall speaker here. I'm still debating on what to use for highs... but if nothing else, with that and one of those Linkwitz Transform bass shaping filters, I can have the dipole sub from Hell... :D :D :D

Anyone wanna sell me some more derilict EPI woofers for cheap? Don't care if they need surrounds... I'll take care of that. I'll take any square-magnet EPI paper-cone woofer that works otherwise... I'm paying $7.50 plus shipping each, if that'll keep you from putting them into the trash... :D Soon as I get 18 of them, I'll be good to go!!
:yippy:

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon,

If you're looking for a pile of alnico-mag woofers, call around to the organ repair places you can find. Often those big old organs had a half dozen 12" speakers. You might get some free tube amps too.

Happy hunting!

Tubino

Actually, the old EPI woofers were all ceramic magnets... just SQUARE ceramic magnets, ala McIntosh and such. Probably even the same OEM magnet supplier, I'd guess. :D

I'm already "in the loop" for most of the vintage pro audio repair places around here... though I haven't gotten any free tube amps yet, someone did swap me a pair of JBL C36 Viscount empty cabinets lately... sweet... :cool:

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom