Rega Apollo-R

I don't care if you dislike the Apollo. nothing wrong with that. I disliked it the first time I auditioned it. No biggie to me. My problem is that in your description of the TEAC vs the Apollo you seem to forget that both machines are the result of a specific designers goals relative to sound ("sonic signature"). Meaning that they are both compromises and that neither are correct or incorrect. They both have a sound that one may like or dislike depending on what you are looking for. I clearly stated that about the Apollo-R as well. Read through the thread and you will see where I clearly stated that some folks may prefer the TEAC and that the Apollo-R, like the Brio-R will likely not be for everyone.

I don't think I forgot anything, but if that's your interpetation, I personally don't have a problem with it. Anything is possible.
I think most of us audio junkies realize specific desinger goals- no new news here.
Cd players, all gear for that matter, are of preference. No breakthrough revelation here as well.
In part that's why I suggested the audition in ones own system, and the breakin period, and well as in a thread I started on the Teac. Here I welcomed all thoughts on that player-whatever they may have been.
In your thread I thought I would add my thought and experinces with the original Apollo, and the Teac. IMHO there is quite a large differnece between the two, and thought it was was important to the overall discussion, as different manufactors do have a signature sound. The R model, I have no experience with-so I could be, and probably are, from your comments, off base a bit.
Some Esoteric players I have heard do sound overall like this Teac- but they were not in my home system-nor did I hear them for any length of time, so it's really hard to say. To me they simply had the characteristics of more expensive players-which is easy to tell for the most part in a number of ways. The bass department comes to mind, as it's usually indicitive of a stout power supply. The disappearing act-but this can be very system dependant as well, especially on a setup your not familiar with.
Again different systems do make quite a bit of difference on how any cd player etc sounds-I would venture this probably accounts for a large part of the differences in what each of us heard-the rest is taste.
Regardless-enjoy!:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Apollo-R number 2 down. This is beginning to remind me of the Clearaudio Concept debacle. This time I can clearly see what's wrong and I must say that I am very disappointed in the build quality. Rega has been informed and we'll see from here.

Dude...really!! I cannot imagine this happening on two machines. I would think Rega needs to use your "coincidences" and pull apart the machine and correct the flaws.

At this point I would get my money back...put the TEAC back in and offer your testing services to Rega once they believe the issue is corrected.
I mean that money could be sitting in your account earning some interest, waiting for the problem to be fixed.

I will continue to watch this thread.

Dude...really!! I cannot imagine this happening on two machines. I would think Rega needs to use your "coincidences" and pull apart the machine and correct the flaws.

At this point I would get my money back...put the TEAC back in and offer your testing services to Rega once they believe the issue is corrected.
I mean that money could be sitting in your account earning some interest, waiting for the problem to be fixed.

I will continue to watch this thread.

The TEAC is back in the system and will remain for now. As nice as it is it sounds like ass compared to the Rega.

BTW, the problem on this one is different than the last one and very easy to figure out. Let's just say that a piece fell off of the player. I could get the DAC but then I'd be short one player (the TEAC was in the living room) and once again scrambling to find money for an inexpensive POS CD player. Dagnabbit. One more problem and I'll be cashing in my chips on the whole Rega mess and starting over...and I'll be damn if I want to do that. I'll make some calls today (in my spare time) and see what I can do.

Problem here is that I have a very stressful job (which I love) and music is supposed to be my refuge from the that. When music and the related HiFi, which I bought to enhance the musical experience, becomes more stressful than work then something has to give.

Apollo-R number 2 down. This is beginning to remind me of the Clearaudio Concept debacle. This time I can clearly see what's wrong and I must say that I am very disappointed in the build quality. Rega has been informed and we'll see from here.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with the Apollo-R. I've bought one after reading your review and have not had an issue with it yet (knock on wood). I know that you had mentioned that first set of issues that you've encountered but what about the second? Please share the issues with this model with fellow Apollo-R owners so we can be aware of potential issues.

The TEAC is back in the system and will remain for now. As nice as it is it sounds like ass compared to the Rega.

BTW, the problem on this one is different than the last one and very easy to figure out. Let's just say that a piece fell off of the player. I could get the DAC but then I'd be short one player (the TEAC was in the living room) and once again scrambling to find money for an inexpensive POS CD player. Dagnabbit. One more problem and I'll be cashing in my chips on the whole Rega mess and starting over...and I'll be damn if I want to do that. I'll make some calls today (in my spare time) and see what I can do.

Problem here is that I have a very stressful job (which I love) and music is supposed to be my refuge from the that. When music and the related HiFi, which I bought to enhance the musical experience, becomes more stressful than work then something has to give.

Sorry Art....didn't mean to stir you all up. My job is stressful at times trying to meet sales targets in a POS economy, so yea when I get home I want to press play and de-stress.

I'm having a good day today, going to see Steven Wilson in concert tonight. Before that gonna hit up all the Roosevelt Ave audio stores, have a good dinner with my wife and then off to the show we go!!

Hope your day gets better....enjoy the TEAC, its a great machine!

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with the Apollo-R. I've bought one after reading your review and have not had an issue with it yet (knock on wood). I know that you had mentioned that first set of issues that you've encountered but what about the second? Please share the issues with this model with fellow Apollo-R owners so we can be aware of potential issues.

I'm not going to say what it is at this point but if it were a problem that you had you would know by now. When I can better explain it I'll post it here.

Sorry Art....didn't mean to stir you all up. My job is stressful at times trying to meet sales targets in a POS economy, so yea when I get home I want to press play and de-stress.

I'm having a good day today, going to see Steven Wilson in concert tonight. Before that gonna hit up all the Roosevelt Ave audio stores, have a good dinner with my wife and then off to the show we go!!

Hope your day gets better....enjoy the TEAC, its a great machine!

No worries. The failure of about a dozen CD players has me worked up, not you. Hope you have a great evening and enjoy the trip down Roosevelt. I'll be there in July.

^ Yes...had a brilliant day/night yesterday!! The concert was simply amazing, what a great artist Steven Wilson is.....
The audio stores were just eye candy, but I will say I am beyond pleased at the performance of my system configuration. When you go to these type of places it gives you the chance to compare what you have already. I am very, very happy!!

I went looking mainly at TT and found a few I need to investigate further.....The Marantz Reference is a beautiful table, but at $1500.00 ouch!! Although my wife gave me the nod as she knows I bleed vinyl...but I still could not, besides I need to investigate more as I am just starting my TT shopping.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I just picked up player number 3. This time I just took the demo home. Hell, it's been playing. Seemed safer than taking a new one home...just sayin'!

013-21.jpg

^ Nice, clean, simple and refined!! I hope the Apollo-R comes thru for you, and not this demo unit...but a real new one.

^ Nice, clean, simple and refined!! I hope the Apollo-R comes thru for you, and not this demo unit...but a real new one.

If the demo unit works I'm fine with keeping it. They had it for less than a month and it's as clean as any of the new ones. :thmbsp:

Sure sounds great!

Some updates may be coming soon...I picked an old school Apollo and put it directly against the TEAC PD-H600 and to my utter surprise the Apollo buried it. I haven't turned on my main system since I brought home the old Apollo. It's been playing in the living room with my Marantz AVR (in Pure Direct mode) with the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's and I'm shocked. Just gave the TEAC to my wife...beats the hell out of the Cambridge 650C. She is quite pleased...

Some updates may be coming soon...I picked an old school Apollo and put it directly against the TEAC PD-H600 and to my utter surprise the Apollo buried it. I haven't turned on my main system since I brought home the old Apollo. It's been playing in the living room with my Marantz AVR (in Pure Direct mode) with the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's and I'm shocked. Just gave the TEAC to my wife...beats the hell out of the Cambridge 650C. She is quite pleased...

Way cool! I will say, since I got the Apollo the urge to buy the Teac has left me.

Back
Top Bottom