Rega Brio-R

It would help to know what makes up the rest of your setup. I can't imagine 2 companies and sounds that would be less alike than Krell and Rega.

I'm purelly digital.

Squeezebox Touch -> Rega DAC -> Krell s300i -> Focal 836W speakers.

The speakers are fast, punchy, extremely accurate, detailed and not very forgiving. Add the Krell on top of that and I think I'm a little too analytical over all.

The Krell worked really nice with my less efficient NHT Classic 4s. Now with the 6db more efficient Focals it's way more power than I need, I have wiggle room.

I've heard the Brio-R driving my speakers in a show room and I liked what I heard. Of course my room will be different but I can probably get a used Elicit and if I don't like it, flip it without any great loss of $.

I'm purelly digital.

Squeezebox Touch -> Rega DAC -> Krell s300i -> Focal 836W speakers.

The speakers are fast, punchy, extremely accurate, detailed and not very forgiving. Add the Krell on top of that and I think I'm a little too analytical over all.

The Krell worked really nice with my less efficient NHT Classic 4s. Now with the 6db more efficient Focals it's way more power than I need, I have wiggle room.

I've heard the Brio-R driving my speakers in a show room and I liked what I heard. Of course my room will be different but I can probably get a used Elicit and if I don't like it, flip it without any great loss of $.

You wouldn't be in Portland would you?

I always advocate buying from whom you demo (if you like what you hear). Just the right thing to do.

Have you considered SimAudio. I really like how Sim sounds with Focal. To my ears Rega, like Naim and Exposure, aren't the best matches for Focal (even though Focal now owns Naim). I'm sure the Elicit would sound good with the Focal speakers but would it be optimal, probably not.

Having the Rega DAC though may be a game changer...might as well hear it at least.

You wouldn't be in Portland would you?

I always advocate buying from whom you demo (if you like what you hear). Just the right thing to do.

Have you considered SimAudio. I really like how Sim sounds with Focal. To my ears Rega, like Naim and Exposure, aren't the best matches for Focal (even though Focal now owns Naim). I'm sure the Elicit would sound good with the Focal speakers but would it be optimal, probably not.

Having the Rega DAC though may be a game changer...might as well hear it at least.

No I'm up in Calgary. I'm not going to be able to demo the Elicit. My dealer won't get one in to demo. Thus I don't feel bad buying used.

Well the only SimAudio that might be in my price range and give me everything I need is the 340i. But I would be totally blind to what it sounds like, I have some exposure to the Rega sound.

Edit: Found the SimAudio dealer in town, taking a 340i for a home demo on Saturday.

Last edited:
This thing better be good- I've already recommended it to two friends without even hearing it! :) Both needed a small, unobtrusive, nice sounding integrated with a phono stage that didn't cost a fortune. I can't think of anything that would fit that more than this. I made it clear that I hadn't hear it, but it has been listened to by ears that I respect...

This thing better be good- I've already recommended it to two friends without even hearing it! :) Both needed a small, unobtrusive, nice sounding integrated with a phono stage that didn't cost a fortune. I can't think of anything that would fit that more than this. I made it clear that I hadn't hear it, but it has been listened to by ears that I respect...

...dang, it better be good then...:smoke::D!

...dang, it better be good then...:smoke::D!

I have no doubt that it will be. One was my friend who's trying to downsize from a Wilson WATT/Puppy Mcintosh tube setup that he hates for its size, complexity, and inability to communicate the music- and he didn't want to spend money again. I thought the Rega was a good suggestion- he just wants to listen to music and not worry about the gear, but he wants musicality over the hi-fi fireworks. He liked Harbeth speakers on Naim, too. Seemed like a good fit?

Had mine just over a week and it's awesome :) Bought it with the Rega DAC and the dealer did a deal giving me $100 off each :) So I have MBP -> Rega DAC -> Brio-R -> KEF Q300s. It has definitely changed in character over the week. I'm still using the out of the box power cords for both the DAC & the Brio-R, and I'm using a glass toslink from the MBP into the DAC. Considering either replacing the power cords for Pangea's or maybe getting a v-link to see if that add's anything more. Currently the original v-link looks a bargin at $99 !

Had mine just over a week and it's awesome :) Bought it with the Rega DAC and the dealer did a deal giving me $100 off each :) So I have MBP -> Rega DAC -> Brio-R -> KEF Q300s. It has definitely changed in character over the week. I'm still using the out of the box power cords for both the DAC & the Brio-R, and I'm using a glass toslink from the MBP into the DAC. Considering either replacing the power cords for Pangea's or maybe getting a v-link to see if that add's anything more. Currently the original v-link looks a bargin at $99 !

The Shunyata (Venom 3 for $99) is better than the Pangea for power cords. Also have to be careful what fits on the Brio-R and will need an adaptor for the Rega DAC.

What's an MBP?

Congrats on the Brio-R!

The Shunyata (Venom 3 for $99) is better than the Pangea for power cords. Also have to be careful what fits on the Brio-R and will need an adaptor for the Rega DAC.

What's an MBP?

Congrats on the Brio-R!

Oh, sorry. MacBook Pro :) Yes, I've seen that Pangea do an adapter for the DAC, as that's how I found them initially, and then saw they did the power cords too. I'll check out the Venom 3 !

Thanks

Oh, sorry. MacBook Pro :) Yes, I've seen that Pangea do an adapter for the DAC, as that's how I found them initially, and then saw they did the power cords too. I'll check out the Venom 3 !

Thanks

BTW, Welcome to AK!

My apologies for just jumping into this thread, but the Brio-R made me do it....

I just added a Brio-R as my main rig, and I couldn't be happier. I previously used a rebuilt Marantz 1030 driving a pair of JBL 4310s. I know I was underpowered, but the sound was pretty sweet to my ears. The Brio-R obviously added the oomph I was missing, but it also tamed some of the forward mids I had with the Marantz.

This amp just plays music in a way that is cohesive. I like that.

I hope this helps anyone else considering a Brio-R. +1

--Bryant

Does anyone feel that the Brio-r's 50 watts per channel doesn't deliver enough power. I'll have the amp in a couple of days and am hoping it pairs well with the B&W 685 speakers I have in my office. Yes, I purchased it blind:sigh:

Does anyone feel that the Brio-r's 50 watts per channel doesn't deliver enough power. I'll have the amp in a couple of days and am hoping it pairs well with the B&W 685 speakers I have in my office. Yes, I purchased it blind:sigh:

Depends on how loud you listen. Under normal use the Brio-R will deliver the goods with the 685's which are a fine speaker. If you want loud (like real loud) it may not. I think you'll be just fine. Keep in mind that the Brio-R drove Jeff's Magnepans MMG's and they are not an easy speaker make sing.

If this thing can drive your Harbeths, I suspect it would sound great with my Sony SS-M7's. They are 8 ohm, 68 db speakers.

The recommended power for the speakers was 40-200 watts. 50 watts is on the low side.

Last edited:
I think the Sonys are more like 86 or 88 db. I'm running them on my Leben right now, another little-amp-that-could. They're an easy load- they truly open up with 400wpc...but I've run them with good results on even a Sansui 5000x. I bet they'd sound good on the Rega, if the room wasn't huge.

Oops. 86db.

I got to hear/play with the Rega today for the first time. I'm absolutely in love with it. I was shocked to feel how heavy it was. The build quality is impressive.

When I walked into the store, it was hooked up to a pair of 4 ohm, 85db, Magneplanar speakers. When I asked the owner of the shop about whether it could drive my Sony's, he didn't even let me finish before saying, "Yes". I rocked the Maggies with the amp for a long time before eventually hooking up some easier to drive Dali's. I spent over 2 hours listening to the amp before committing to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom