[Rega] Cartridges and spacers

grolin

I have just picked up a used Rega Planar 3 with an Audio Technica 95 pickup (MM). The previous owner stated that the PU is not used a lot but I still want to ask the fine members at this forum what they recommend regarding PUs to this Rega model?

I have a new Pickering XV-15/625E cartridge laying around from another project but I do not know if this will be a direct fit on my RB300 arm or not? On another forum a member stated that a spacer needs to be used. Is this correct?
If so, what thickness does it has to have and from where can a get this kind of spacer?

Cartridge:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/PICKSXV15625E.html

Anyway, is this a good cartridge to be mounted on the Rega?
I mostly listen to rock and hard rock but will also buy records that contain other styles of music.

I also have a Dual/Ortofon DN 165E cartridge, is this a better choice to the Rega and is a spacer needed?

Cartridge
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ORSDN165E.html

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I cannot answer directly to your cartridges but following the words of wisdom from Rega you may not need a spacer. However I do use them, I actually needed to raise my arm by 4 mm. This was done two ways, taking the height of the typical Rega cartridge and comparing to what I am using. I found that without it I was tail end down and to get it close to even, I needed to raise it with two Rega 2mm spacers.

Adding 2mm worth of spacer(s) seems to be the common height addition for non-Rega cartridges. But it depends on the cartridge installed. Just search 'Rega spacers' on the Internet. There are numerous choices and sources. Look for ones where you do not have to remove the tonearm to install them. The Pickering VX-15 is a highly regarded cartridge with an extensive selection of replacement styli available. I added the TT-PSU and it makes a noticeable difference in speed stability and lowering the noise floor. But now, the NEO TT-PSU is available which adds pitch control.

Last edited:
I have XV-15 on my Rega with 2 mm shim fitted. Excellent sounding combo. Google will turn up many source for Rega shims. Rega offer one that feature 4 different height adjustments. If you have screwdriver set you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom