Rega Harbeth question

The ideal height of the speaker should be where the tweeter is right at ear level. With my 30" stands a 15 " stand mound speakers tweeter hit above my head....but still sounded great. But when I went to the 24" stand it was like fine tuning the sound....tweeter right in line with ear.

Guess I will measure how high my ear is in my listening chair. The Spendor SA1 stands are gorgeous, but holy cow, what a price tag. Same with the slate audio stands. I like those, nice and simple, but way more than I can spend. I will wait until my speakers arrive and play with the Triangle Boomerang stands I have now. They are 24" and I can add something on top to increase the height until I find what I like, then find matching stands, most likely Skylan can customize a pair.

BTW, an added bonus with the Brio-R. I have a 1957 Ampex console with JBL designed speakers. They were designed for tubes and I have always used tubes with them. The only problem is that at *slightly* louder volumes the bass gets muddy and the tweeter gets shouty. I figured since I have the Brio-R, I may as well try it out. It sounds better than any tube amp I have ever tried. I always liked these speakers because, even though they are very colored (i.e. nowhere near neutral), the tonality is kind of gorgeous.

The Harbeths arrived Friday afternoon and I played with them until 10:00 that night ... then went to bed slightly disappointed. They did not appear to be anything special (although they certainly looked great in the maple finish). I ended up adding my sub. This helped out, but was still not what I expected in sound quality. The next day, as I was listening, I read in the instruction guide that Alan Shaw said we should all listen responsibly at 85db. I had not turned them up that loud for fear of breaking these tiny things, but Alan said to do so, so I cranked them. Ah, now this was something else. All of a sudden they developed bass of their own and the soundstage swelled up and filled the room. It was natural sounding even while being loud. Cool. The Harbeths and the Brio-R, as a system, worked just great. I think I may get the Skylan stands as 27" puts the tweeter dircetly at ear level

I have the Dynaudio Excite X12's which promptly showed my P3's a clean pair of heels (I've always wanted to use that, thanks Gavin) and sent them packing. I loved what the P3's did well but it wasn't enough to overcome the overall strengths of X12's.
I was just looking through this old thread. Lemme tell ya, I was wrong. The Dyn’s, though very nice, are long gone and I am happily living with a pair of P3’s. There is a lot to the story of why I preferred the Dyn’s at the time that had nothing to do with each speakers performance. A story for another time.

I have done this same thing before. I thought component A was superior to component B, but there were other mitigating circumstances that led me to that conclusion erroneously. I get it. P3's are some mighty fine speakers!

Back
Top Bottom