Rega is up and running - OH YEA !

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Well, how do I put into words what is felt in the soul? Ok, maybe that's a little to deep :rolleyes: what I can say is, I've never heard anything as nice. It is so quite, no hum, so hiss, no pops and no clicks; just sweet music. It's like CD quality but better. Now I have to listen to all my albums for the first time. It's very cool rediscovering music. I'm in love. Can't wait to hear this with tubes. For now just the Yamaha and Technics. It can only get better. WOW !:eek:

I aint familar with that Grado but I think its comparable to the Grado Gold Prestige. How many hours are on it ? ya may wanna take it into a local shop and have them throw it under the scope. If is worn just think how much nicer it will sound with a new one. Either way it sounds like you got one hell of a steal. :)

Grumpy

what I can say is, I've never heard anything as nice. It is so quite, no hum, so hiss, no pops and no clicks; just sweet music. It's like CD quality but better. Now I have to listen to all my albums for the first time
Pretty much how I felt when I got my first Rega 3 (with rb300) many years ago.

Sounds like it was money well spent...:D

I have a microscope and it looks new (part of the surface mount electronics lab). The lady is my realtor and said she had only used it about 10 times and none in the last five years. I believe her because I've never met a more sweet honest lady. She is the lady who gave me the Bang & Olufson.

Wardsweb,
Congrats! That's a sweet TT and very nice condition to boot.

I've got a Grado GF3 on the sansui tt, and am guessing it is very similiar to the F3 on yours. I found out that it is equivalent to the Blue in their range today. Grado Really like this cart for it' smooth natural sound and appears it's a good match for the Rega.

enjoy the music

Jack

PS. might be worth checking that it still has enough lubrication even though it has been rather inactive.

Any of you Rega guys interested I have some left over Rega upgrades from my "turntable of the month" days. I have the heavy weight for the RB 300 arm (which most people say is an automatic upgrade) and two high end mats. One sorbothane and the other is a Ringmat.

There are a few people on the forum here that can vouch they have less than one weeks use as my next flavor of the month was a SOTA turntable and I sold the P3 before taking reciept of the SOTA and kept the goodies.....

I will let them go for 1/2 of new on needle doctors site.

Rich

PS: You will be happy with the Rega table. Nice rig. If you decide to spend some money on a cartridge, ClearAudio is a nice fit.

Nah Wardsweb, you're not being to deep. Glad you're happy with it. I can relate to that "listen for the first time" experience. It is hard to put it into words. My wife thinks I'm nuts. What type of stand/shelf/table/support have you got it on? Do tell us more!
Brad

Originally posted by Richm
Any of you Rega guys interested I have some left over Rega upgrades from my "turntable of the month" days. I have the heavy weight for the RB 300 arm (which most people say is an automatic upgrade) and two high end mats. One sorbothane and the other is a Ringmat.
Hey Richm, I might be interested in the ringmat, depending on the price. I don't know if Needledoctor carries that one though. If I was interested, it would be after October 3rd tho (next paycheck).

Cheers...

RichM,

Did you notice an improvement with the Heavyweight? I've heard good things about it. How much will you let it go for?

Thanks,
Pat

Guys,

Like I said, 1/2 of new and both have just a few hours of use. (less than a week)

The ringmat at ND is $90.00 so $45 on that.
http://www.needledoctor.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=3&parentcatnum=0&itemnum=22

The Clear audio heavy weight is $100 so $50.

http://www.needledoctor.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=3&parentcatnum=0&itemnum=1639

With my Rega 3 and RB300 using a Clear Audio Aurum cart, the weight made a big difference in detail. The orginal weight was loosely coupled and had resonance issues. That is the #1 Rega tweak.

Rich

Agreed, that sounds like a good deal on the ringmat too (if any amount of money above $5.00 could be considered 'good' for something essentially made of paper and cork) -- will contact you about it shortly if I'm interested! I've got a cartridge upgrade on my mind at the moment, so that may be where my 'expendable income' goes next month (not completely sure yet).

Edit -- wait a second, is that the Ringmat MkII XLR (as sold at Needle Doctor), or just the standard ringmat? There's something of a price difference, if I recall.

Last edited:
Rich

Did ya get my Email ?

Grumpy

Rich,
wonder how many Rega owners consider some means of VTA adjustment as an important tweak???? I bought a tweakd 250 to use on my old TT (a Heybrook TT-2) and got an Easy Riser sleeve for add-on VTA adjustment (around $35?).

Ended up buying a new table whose tonearm base allows for VTA, so the Easy Riser became unnecessary.

TY

Moogfan, I just looked and it is a Ringmat 330 MKII XLR. The price tag shows $95(then) but will sell for $45 now.

Looks brand new. In sleeve with instructions.

Grumpy, did not get mail. Where did you send it? Use rich@1967z28.com

Tonto, I think VTA is a good tweak. I bought a washer kit but the only way to really adjust VTA is while you are playing. I sure can't listen to something and then take and hour changing it and then evaluate it again. Doesnt work for me!!

I have a SOTA now with a SME 309 arm that has a VTA but wish it was a nice dial adjustment instead of the allen setup.

I have always been amazed at what a little VTA will do for you. Definitly fixed a dull or harsh system sometimes.

Originally posted by Richm
Moogfan, I just looked and it is a Ringmat 330 MKII XLR. The price tag shows $95(then) but will sell for $45 now.
Thanks Richm, I'll get back with you soon (within a day or two). I understand the Ringmat is especially good on suspended 'tables (which I have), but my funds are limited so have to decide about cartridge upgrade vs. this really good deal you're offering on the ringmat. Unless you'd let me pay in two monthly installments (LOL!).

I have always been amazed at what a little VTA will do for you. Definitly fixed a dull or harsh system sometimes.
That's for sure! I've had trouble getting VTA "just right" though. Either it seems too dull, or it seems too harsh (one reason why I'm wanting to upgrade my cartridge, probably to a Shure M97xE).

Richm,

I've (reluctantly) decided to pass on the ringmat. To use it I'd need to adjust my Thorens TD-160's suspension (it's already on the firm side with a heavier rubber mat, and is much too 'firm' without a rubber mat to add weight to it) -- and if there's anything I really HATE (practically phobic about), it's playing with the suspension. I also feel better saving my pennies for a new cartridge.

You might try selling on Audiogon.com, you'd probably find a buyer within a few days.

Cheers,

Moogfan

Rich

Just shoot you an Email. Have you guys read the description of the new Ringmat yet. Its got a new funkier design. I cant remember where I saw it at but they were justifying the price saying its Oh so labor intensive to make them.

:lmao: :lmao:

Heya Grumpy... I agree that the price of the ringmat is utterly outrageous. I've heard too many reports from people I have no reason to doubt though (saying it makes a world of difference, especially with suspended tables) that I'd sure like to try it. But just can't do the $45 right now, and don't want to mess with my TT's suspension (uggh :puke: ).

Back
Top Bottom