Rega Owner's Thread

just got my brass pulley from TangoSpinner. So who here has installed one of these? What's the best way to pull the plastic pulley off if I don't have a puller for it?
Michael Lim does a Pulley Puller for $12. http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/removing-rega-pulleys-safely.html

Some nail polish remover dabbed carefully down the top of the spindle might loosen it enough to twist off by hand.

*New Planar 3 review* - http://www.whathifi.com/rega/planar-3elys-2/review

James H

Thanks a bunch fellas. I had some acetone ready, but chose to try it the simplest way first and just gave the pulley a good tug while firmly holding the motor assembly and POP! off it came.
Did the reverse with the brass pulley and then plugged the turntable back into mains power.
:(
Pretty sure I got the wrong pulley.
I went back and double checked my order to make sure it wasn't my mistake
this is what was confirmed by Gustavo:
1 33/45 Metal pulley for Planar 3 - 60 Hz
However the pulley that I got appears to be a single 45rpm pulley as it has only 1 'slot' for the belt to fit and when in that groove the platter spins at 45 rpm.
Guess I gotta contact Gustavo.
Well at least the plastic one wasn't damaged and is now back in place and running smoothly.

Thanks a bunch fellas. I had some acetone ready, but chose to try it the simplest way first and just gave the pulley a good tug while firmly holding the motor assembly and POP! off it came.
Did the reverse with the brass pulley and then plugged the turntable back into mains power.
:(
Pretty sure I got the wrong pulley.
I went back and double checked my order to make sure it wasn't my mistake
this is what was confirmed by Gustavo:
1 33/45 Metal pulley for Planar 3 - 60 Hz
However the pulley that I got appears to be a single 45rpm pulley as it has only 1 'slot' for the belt to fit and when in that groove the platter spins at 45 rpm.
Guess I gotta contact Gustavo.

Well at least the plastic one wasn't damaged and is now back in place and running smoothly.
I had a quick look at Gus' website and he doesn't appear to sell such a thing. Are you sure he hasn't sent you a dual 45/45 rpm pulley?

James H

It's definitely not a dual anything pulley.
The italicized text in my last post was copied from his order confirmation email to me.
try this link: http://www.tangospinner.com/products-detail.php?id_pro=5&producto=ALUMINIUM PULLEY

Here is a blurry phone pic of what I got.
View attachment 708480

The first reply link to Gus' aluminium pulleys, not the brass ones as you stated originally. The 2nd reply does look like a single (brass) pulley of some sort. My apologies, I never saw that on his list of available pulleys.

Looks like the 33 1/3 is on the bottom.
I thought that at first, but surely not?

James H

Yeah, I did order just the metal pulley, but got this brass one.
I tried the lower groove but it didn't really work. At first the belt just kept slipping off the sub platter. Then I raised the pulley a bit and it didn't slip out, but ran really slowly and the weight of my phone on the platter caused it to stop altogether.
Compared to the plastic pulley that lower grove is a lot smaller in diameter.
Anyway I've emailed Gus to figure this out.
I don't want to sully his rep here.
I am in no way upset by this. These things happen. Just trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong, or if it is indeed the wrong pulley.

Yeah, to me it just looks upside down from normal, 45 on top, 33 1/3 on the bottom. To me that would make it hard to use.

My controbution

RP3
Denon - DL-110 MC Cartridge
Unknown subplatter
Custom Machined drive pully, (33 1/3 rpm exact)
Ceramic Thrust Bearing
Ceramic Motor Thrust Bearing
3mm Blue Suede Mat
J. A. Michell Rega Record Clamp

Custom 3/4 inch black acrylic platform, supported by 50mm 50D Sorbothan hemispheres

25495216130_da90e489d5_c.jpg

25741179750_c4b5ee180b_h.jpg

25947535131_179e5bff27_h.jpg

25279085963_a62f5bd6ae_h.jpg

Just for reference and completeness sake I am in email communication with Gustavo now and this is indeed a 331 1/3 -45 pulley. 33 1/3 Is the bottom grove. Still not sure what the issue is, but as I said talking with Gustavo now to work it out.

Ok. I got running at a solid 33 1/3. I had to play with the position of the new pulley on the spindle. Too low and the belt slipped off, too high and it ran too slow. Got it just right now. Thanks for your responses. Very happy now :)

Well it is a new red/ brown silicone belt and I can't switch it between the two positions on the spindle without it coming off the sub platter as well. A little more time to switch, but I'm never in a rush when listening, quite the opposite in fact, so it's no biggie.
Dead on speed at both ends though,which is very nice.

Just ordered a top and bottom brace for my Planar 3 from Mr Lim (no affiliation). I'll post pics once they arrive and I get them installed. Can't wait :jump:

I'm very interested to hear what you think of the effect this upgrade has on the planar 3. I was thinking of doing it on mine, but wasn't sure if there would be any noticible improvement.

It's going to be subjective as I have already upgraded everything else, so it was either a new plinth or the bracings (and the bracings were much cheaper LOL)

Decided I would do a color swap.
Re Assembled on my new Cool Grey plinth.

I liked the white, and the change is easy, so I may swap depending on mood.
26303128706_3f2a51b0d5_b.jpg

25724223714_5bae54651b_b.jpg

26303130426_34a7c8d533_b.jpg

Bearing hole was a little tight, I could not get the bearing in. Needed to open it up a bit with a sanding drum. Still fits snug, and level.
25726318313_ca3bd15629_b.jpg

26056216090_15e4277096_b.jpg

26236672222_750eea5dfa_b.jpg

My M Lim top and botom bracing have arrived in the UK fom Malaysia. Just need to wait untill they get to my door now :rolleyes: BTW liking the transformation.

Back
Top Bottom