Rega Planar 1 - Newbie

bhob86

Hi all,

Just purchased a Rega Planar 1 and am struggling to get it going.

Have a Sansui AU 101 but the only speaker I have is a Fender Bassman 100. Are these compatible ? Seem to be struggling to getting anything going. Where am I going wrong?

Should i ditch the Sansui and just get a preamp?

Any advice is appreciated, not got much of a clue, just want to get a few records playing.

Thanks all.

Post has nothing to do with tuners or radio.. Moving to turntables.

I can't tell from your post if you're already familiar with getting a turntable/record player up and running or not - but just in case you aren't, you do have the thing plugged into the "Phono" input right? The signal from a turntable is so weak and also EQ'd all funny and needs to go through an RIAA compatible preamp before it's line level and can go through your amplifier. In some cases this requires you to buy a preamp, but as far as I'm aware the Sansui AU 101 has a phono input - which means it'll handle both, as long as you plug it in to the phono input and not one of the other inputs. It basically has an internal preamp that it goes through first - but only when you plug it into phono. If you use any of the other inputs, it won't work unless you have it coming through an external preamp first.

As for listening on your guitar amp - the Sansui does have a headphone input, so you can probably connect the amp through that. It's not going to sound particularly good, and you'd definitely be better off with even the cheapest set of bookshelf speakers or headphones - but in theory it should still work.

If you've already got it set up like that (i.e. Rega Planar 1 -> Phono input on amp -> Connected to guitar amp via headphone output, and you've got the Phono input selected on the amp) and you aren't getting any sound then you might want to test the components individually to see what's not working. Try plugging a CD player or your computer or something into the amp and see if it outputs to your guitar amp fine or not.

Hey Jesus thanks for the relpy.

I have the TT connected to the Sansui via the phono input, however I then had the amp connected to the Sansui via the AUX input which is probably my mistake.

I will try the headphone to Amp input later and see how I get on.

Hey Jesus thanks for the relpy.

I have the TT connected to the Sansui via the phono input, however I then had the amp connected to the Sansui via the AUX input which is probably my mistake.

I will try the headphone to Amp input later and see how I get on.

Yep if you're connecting the Fender to one of the inputs, then you've got no outputs - so you'll definitely get no sound, just another input. Connecting it to the headphone out jack should fix your issue :)

Back
Top Bottom