Rega Planar 3 or Technics 1200

However, if you want longevity and performance, then the SL1200 is the only choice.
There's no shortage of 30+ year old Regas out there.

The whole "long service life" argument doesn't float with me. There's no reason either deck couldn't last a few generations. Actually, for their simplicity, my money would be on the Rega for the long-haul.

The whole "long service life" argument doesn't float with me. There's no reason either deck couldn't last a few generations. Actually, for their simplicity, my money would be on the Rega for the long-haul.
I did say longevity AND performance :) .

Same here, I don't see anything in a rega that could ever truly be obsolete unless we stop using motors, belts, and bearings. Not that the 1200 won't last a very long time, itself. Conceivably, there could be parts replacement issues in the future. DIYing a new control board is always a possibility but it would be considerably more difficult than swapping in a new motor/bearing/belt, etc.

Avole, you're You're contradicting yourself-

Re; Technics:

...However, if you want longevity and performance, then the SL1200 is the only choice.

Re: Brett's comment on the Rega (The whole "long service life" argument doesn't float with me. There's no reason either deck couldn't last a few generations. Actually, for their simplicity, my money would be on the Rega for the long-haul)

I did say longevity AND performance :) .

The problem folk need to remember is that the 1200 uses ICs to hold speed. The Rega does not.

Now, I'm not worried about this with the Technics- rarely, and I mean rarely does one ever develop an IC problem.

But the Rega's mechanical (for lack of a better term) setup relies on nothing more than the mechanical parts and a few off the shelf electrical components.

The Rega will require more service and maintenance than the Technics, but really, it's nothing significant.

Last edited:
Same here, I don't see anything in a rega that could ever truly be obsolete unless we stop using motors, belts, and bearings. Not that the 1200 won't last a very long time, itself. Conceivably, there could be parts replacement issues in the future. DIYing a new control board is always a possibility but it would be considerably more difficult than swapping in a new motor/bearing/belt, etc.

Ahh- you beat me to it. And you are correct.

I really have no place engaging in a comparison between the two turntables the OP inquired about (I don't own a Rega) and there is very little that I can contribute to the discussion involving the higher end turntables. However, I will offer what I have learned in comparing 2 very different different popularly marketed 'vintage' turntables. (Vintage is in quotes because it is a highly subjective and variously defined word with respect to audio gear.)

Both my Pioneer PL-9 and my Dual 1229 sound very different, even with the same cartridge, depending on which amp, preamp and speaker system I run them through. Which of the many possible combinations is the 'best' is a highly subjective determination.

To the OP: As several others have posted, play them both through the set-up you expect to use most often and choose the one you prefer.

Shame you can't keep both, though.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting that. I respect the write ups at TNT and hadn't seen that one. I especially appreciated this:

From the TNT atricle:

"This then is a turntable/cartridge combination of about 1200 euro. It surprised at once with stable and solid images rooted in an inky-black background. Stereo width was confined to the boundaries of the loudspeakers, but depth was outright impressive, the soundstage being rectangular in shape and very well defined. Tonality was very fine too, a tad warm and round, with a nicely-detailed and sweet treble. Dynamics were fine, though not exceptional. (This combination of a warm and lush sound with somewhat muted dynamics is something I feel that comes with the use of a heavy rubber mat. (...)

Rhythm and drive were present in abundance, and the result was one of a certain fundamental 'rightness' to the sound."

It's not too often I get to read such reports from people who put a 1200 into their familiar systems and can articulate what they hear.

I've owned a Rega and various (arguably) lesser DDs. Someday I want to buy a 1200 just to know what they are like first hand.

Thanks again.

Avole, you're You're contradicting yourself-

Re; Technics:

Re: Brett's comment on the Rega (The whole "long service life" argument doesn't float with me. There's no reason either deck couldn't last a few generations. Actually, for their simplicity, my money would be on the Rega for the long-haul)

The problem folk need to remember is that the 1200 uses ICs to hold speed. The Rega does not.

Now, I'm not worried about this with the Technics- rarely, and I mean rarely does one ever develop an IC problem.

But the Rega's mechanical (for lack of a better term) setup relies on nothing more than the mechanical parts and a few off the shelf electrical components.

The Rega will require more service and maintenance than the Technics, but really, it's nothing significant.
No, I'm not contradicting myself at all. I'm afraid you have missed the point. Note the two key words "and performance", which Brett also totally failed to notice.

I think we all saw "and performance", I suppose I'm unclear on what you are getting at?

I believe thedelihaus addressed your "...and performance" with "The Rega will require more service and maintenance" but since I don't understand what you are inferring, maybe I don't get his post, either. "splain it to us, if you would.

I think we all saw "and performance", I suppose I'm unclear on what you are getting at?

I believe thedelihaus addressed your "...and performance" with "The Rega will require more service and maintenance" but since I don't understand what you are inferring, maybe I don't get his post, either. "splain it to us, if you would.
Can I point out that my original comments were not directed at the deli man, because he had not at that point commented.

Now, read my first post on the subject. Read Brett's response. Read my riposte, complete with smiley. Note that Brett talks about the Rega being the equal in terms of longevity but nowhere does he mention its the equal in performance.

Are you beginning to follow?

Sorry if this post sound harsh, but I have been alternatively hitting my head against a brick wall and crying for the last ten minutes.

It was a bit hard to follow the flow of what you were saying- sometimes this happens on an open forum, or print media of any type, for that matter.

Re-reading it, it became clear to me, and I understand what you were saying.

Please don't cry. I love you.

Note that Brett talks about the Rega being the equal in terms of longevity but nowhere does he mention its the equal in performance.

Hi again, it's Brett.

I didn't mention performance for three reasons:

It's completely subjective in the real-world sense.

I've never heard a 1200, so cannot comment on performance (That is assuming by "performance" you meant how well does it relaying the music).

And third. I didn't want to.

That said, my experiences with owning and servicing Japanese DDs compared with my experience with a Rega Planar 2/RB250 have left me pretty resolute that the Rega would be the better performer. I'll never know for sure though, relative to this conversation, until I get to own a 1200.

So I stayed away from the performance point (until now----keep the Rega! :D )

Hi again, it's Brett.

I didn't mention performance for three reasons:

It's completely subjective in the real-world sense.

I've never heard a 1200, so cannot comment on performance (That is assuming by "performance" you meant how well does it relaying the music).

And third. I didn't want to.

That said, my experiences with owning and servicing Japanese DDs compared with my experience with a Rega Planar 2/RB250 have left me pretty resolute that the Rega would be the better performer. I'll never know for sure though, relative to this conversation, until I get to own a 1200.

So I stayed away from the performance point (until now----keep the Rega! :D )
Must be one of those cultural differences. I thought the smiley gave it away, but evidently not. I wasn't being serious. There's no need to explain.

Thanks for everyone's helpful comments. I have tried to convince my wife that I should keep both, to no avail! One has to go!! I don't have any real high end equipment to pair with either TT. All I have is an HK 3380 stereo receiver and a pair of vintage sansui's. I hope to get better equipment over time. Im not trying to figure out which one is sonically betteror which one is better. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm torn between the two and don't know which one to sell. If I had two receivers I would set them both up and do a comparison. But I don't. If and when I do decide I defnately will post my decision.

On a side note is the Mayware a tonearm worth keeping? Or should I go back to RB300 if I decide on the rega.

Again sorry if I caused any confusion

Thanks
Sal

I think we should help the OP to convice his wife to keep both instead of going into the virtues of one over the other.
If you do NEED to sell one keep them both at least for a year.
SL's are not in production any more and a mint one will not devaluate, perhaps even become worth a bit more...

So I'd convince your wife to keep the SL for a while as investment object alongside the Rega, who knows perhaps both are allowed to stay in the long run. ;)

Last edited:
Must be one of those cultural differences. I thought the smiley gave it away, but evidently not. I wasn't being serious. There's no need to explain.
Damn. And I like explaining so much.

:yes: :D :thmbsp:

On a side note is the Mayware a tonearm worth keeping? Or should I go back to RB300 if I decide on the rega.

The Mayware is a decent arm, but it is a low-mass arm. What this means is you will need to match it with what's called a high-compliance cartridge (see this link for more information on the topic). What this means with regard to your setup is unclear. However, I do know that my favorite low-budget cartridge - the Denon DL-103R - would be unplayable on the Mayware (e.g. the tail wagging the dog) whereas it is a good match for the Rega.

-D

Equally well set up I'm sure both TTs, Rega and 1200, are fine sounding TTs in their price range. This was mentioned earlier about regional pricing and this may somewhat account for the popularity of one turntable over the other. Is there import duties and/or VAT in the UK and EU? Again if there is an import duty on the Rega to the US/Canada this would make for additional cost and influence popularity. It is difficult to gauge the popularity of the Technics in the EU but from reading a few European audio sites there is a good bit of interest in the 1200. The Regas have been on the scene for about as long as the 1200 and have gathered a loyal following both in the UK and North America. The OP has to listen to both and HE has to make the choice between two good TTs since he has been told he can only keep one.

Too bad we can't get the same prices for Rega products that can be had in the United Kingdom.

I don't need another tone arm but all this talk makes me think of a used RB-700 for my Technics SP25....

I think I'd miss the easily swappable headshell though- perhaps the only thing keeping me back.

Back
Top Bottom