Rega Planar 3 or Technics 1200

Go for it, Paul. Then I'll trade you a really cool re-wired Sumiko FT-3 for it. I'll even throw in a custom Technics armboard. :D

YOU should get it, I'll do a free re-wire for you, and I'll find you a buyer for the Sumiko!

I'd say the Sumiko is as good as and IMO even better than the Stock RB300, but the RB700 is kinda sweet. A modified RB700? Very nice!

But honestly, I hope to see an SME 309 or IV or V on your table.....

...or even a Technics SP25 in your stable.

Hey Mark,

A used SME 309 can be had for $700-$900.

They have removable headshells- of a beefy, extra ridged, and proprietary design of SME's own design.

Or, if you're impatient, there's a new one for $1750 on the 'bay.

Fixed headshell IV is only a hunnert more, at $1850.

Wow

After I finish cleaning up the Technics (anybody know any good references for this). I will compare the two. I think my ears are pretty good and sometimes when I play my "Peter Gabriel - So" on my Rega, the synths at the beginning sound off. The only issue I see in comparing the two is the cartridge. The Technics is easy to swap. But this Mayware is a real pain in the a$$! I'll have to compare with what i have on at the time. I know it's not fair. I'm kinda leaning towards the 1200 with some mods. Maybe an SL-1200 with a REGA RB300 tonearm. I'll get the best of both worlds.

(Can't remember who suggested that but thanks)

By the way, Thanks again to all of you. I appreciate your input and will take everything I read and make a decision.

Bob,

there's a Moth 700 (Rega RB-700) up for sale, $545 over at Audiogon, new, I believe old(er) stock?

EDIT- Wow- I just looked at the typical cost of a 700- $895. Nice arm, not so nice a price.

If I were planning on purchasing another Rega arm, I'd get the Audiomods version.

2638_220.gif

-D

I had some years to compare my Planar 3 (w/ RB300) with my SP10 w/Sme3009. Many cartridge combinations were tried back and forth.

The Technics just walked all over the Rega in every conceivable way.

I have trouble distinguishing the sound of my standard 1210 MK2 with the SP10. They are very, very close. And the Technics arm is less fussy and more adjustable.

Yeah, I sold the Rega.

Thanks for posting that. I respect the write ups at TNT and hadn't seen that one. I especially appreciated this:

It's not too often I get to read such reports from people who put a 1200 into their familiar systems and can articulate what they hear.

I've owned a Rega and various (arguably) lesser DDs. Someday I want to buy a 1200 just to know what they are like first hand.

Thanks again.

I did that. I wasn't exactly blown away.

TheEvan interesting to hear how the two, Rega and Technics, fared when compared side by side. Was that a first generation SP-10 or a SP-10Mk2? Also very interesting to hear your results when comparing the 1210Mk2 and the SP-10. Not to say never but this will put considering a SP-10Mk2 purchase further down the road till I finish my present project and I see/hear the results.

I have a question for Bob in OKC. When you compared TT's, did you use a stock SL 1200 MKII vs. a Rega P5? And did you compare them both with your Music Hall MMF-5. If so, can you give your impressions of the performance of all three?

I have a question for Bob in OKC. When you compared TT's, did you use a stock SL 1200 MKII vs. a Rega P5? And did you compare them both with your Music Hall MMF-5. If so, can you give your impressions of the performance of all three?

This comparison was stock SL-1200MK2 vs. MMF-5. After the comparison period of a month or maybe 6 weeks I sold the Technics and eventually started shopping for another contender. I settled on the P5 after considering very few others. I think the only other I really gave serious thought to was a used Scout, although I looked at some other VPI and Clearaudio options.

My thoughts on the SL-1200MK2 vs. MMF-5 comparison are in this post:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3575485&postcount=57

As for the P5 vs. MMF-5...The P5 is tighter and livelier. I hear no flutter with the P5 but heard a tiny bit on sustained notes with the MMF-5. The flutter I heard with the MMF-5 was actually less than what I've heard from the similar Pro-Ject Xpression III, so I think the heavier-than-acrylic glass platter is helping there. In some situations it sounded like the MMF-5 had more bass than the P5 but it was a rounder, softer-edged bass. It has as much as or a tiny bit more of a lilt and pleasantness (is that a word?) in the vocal range than the P5, too. I suppose the P5 brought me back a little from the soft and laid-back approach. It's a turntable that allows me to hear a rock album more like I want to hear it while still presenting a jazz vocal record the way I like to hear it. I'd be hesitant to say the P5 really pummels the MMF-5. It's better in that it's pleasant to listen to and it has rhythm and drive, but I didn't know until I tried these other turntables that I was doing comparatively well with the MMF-5.

Thanks. I couldn't find that post. Seems like a long time ago but it really wasn't. One thing is for sure. I have found that at the price point we're discussing that the diffferences between these TT's is subtle. It would be fun if we could demo a 10k TT with a 5k cart at our home to see the difference.

I know this is a real old thread but I'd been trying to find info on the SL 1200 as I was looking at getting a rega P3 used or RP1 and I just happened across vintage TTs in a cool vintage audio store here in Syracuse. My main problem is my house has a basement and the first floor is a suspended wood floor. This thread touched on that a bit. How bad will that be for a Rega and how much are SL 1200s going for now in really good shape?

My Rega is on a suspended floor. I suppose I strike the floor gently when I walk. A shelf with damped feet under it ought to do as much to isolate as much as any non-suspended turntable can.

Back
Top Bottom