Rega runs fast, what to do?

wiredbecker

...jams ECONO!
Subscriber
Hello all,

I've been working on my Rega Planar 3 and discovered that it runs at exactly 34.0 RPM not 33.3 as it should. Evidently this is common with Rega tables. I have an inexpensive ($9) black belt on the way, perhaps that will solve the problem. If it doesn't well, damn I dunno.

Next step appears to be the acquisition of an identically sized machined sub platter or perhaps I have a 50Hz pulley and a slightly larger 60Hz pulley will adjust for the speed variation. Michael Lim has various pulleys and slightly larger subplatters starting around $150 + shipping shipment from Malaysia. AK Member Vinyl-addict (Frank Smillie) has his Groovetracer subplatter available more or less locally for $200 + shipping.

Then again I could just go the inexpensive route and increase the diameter of the stock sub platter by encircling it with a few rounds of tape and remeasuring the speed.

What the hell would you do?

First I'd make sure the correct 90W Castrol gear oil is used in the spindle bearing then if that isn't the problem I'd look at your other options.

Dave/ChairSpud

I think you may have that pulley thing mixed up. I may have it mixed up too, but forgive me while I think out loud. Firstly you need to go slower, therefore you need to reduce the size of your pulley not increase it if my thinking is correct. Also, I believe that the motor will run slightly faster on 60Hz than it will on 50Hz, so the 50Hz pulley would need to be a little larger than the 60Hz pulley to accommodate that change in motor speed. With that said you may indeed have the 50Hz pulley, and be in need of the slightly smaller 60Hz pulley. That could be giving you the variation that you are seeing. Do you know where your table came from? Is it new to you? Is it form the UK?

Here's Chairspud's advice from Vinyl Engine:

"I'd use a stobe disc to verify there is actually a problem first.

If you still want to re-lubricate the bearing, this is how I was taught to do it and is supposed to be the method Rega techs use.

Rega recommends using 90W gear oil, too thin an oil may result in the platter spinning slightly fast, I use Castrol 90W on my Regas.

First lift the spindle up and out and drop the single round steel ball bearing out on a wash rag (careful it's very small and easily lost). Clean and dry everything with a lint free cloth and Q-tips (not cheap imitations, they can leave residue behind.

While holding the turntable at an angle drop the ball bearing down the brass bearing well and drip a couple large drops of 90W oil down the side of the bearing cup while still tilted.

The Rega guys must have some kind of measuring method to dispense exactly the right amount of oil, I don't know what that is but the correct amount should cover the top of the ball bearing setting at the bottom of the well, you can check by shining a small flashlight down the bearing well.

Then drop the spindle down the shaft and let it settle without turning or pushing. This method leaves space around the spindle shaft for air to escape as the spindle drops down, failing to do this can result in the oil being forced out and insufficient remaining oil to lubricate the bearing.

Seems like a lot to go through but worth the effort. I've seen it done the wrong way and result in the ball bearing thrashing around the base of the bearing cup and causing the platter to jump up and down. :eek:

Hope that Helps.

ChairSpud"

I think you may have that pulley thing mixed up. I may have it mixed up too, but forgive me while I think out loud. Firstly you need to go slower, therefore you need to reduce the size of your pulley not increase it if my thinking is correct. Also, I believe that the motor will run slightly faster on 60Hz than it will on 50Hz, so the 50Hz pulley would need to be a little larger than the 60Hz pulley to accommodate that change in motor speed. With that said you may indeed have the 50Hz pulley, and be in need of the slightly smaller 60Hz pulley. That could be giving you the variation that you are seeing. Do you know where your table came from? Is it new to you? Is it form the UK?

The table was acquired many years ago at a garage sale and I'm just now getting around to working on it. No idea what the back history is on it.

If these deck have this issue why is everyone buying them. I know to slow it down 1. smaller motor pulley or 2. Larger platter drive. I don'y think a belt change will change the speed. Are you positive the test equipment is correct?

Can you weight the platter a bit on the underside? Might not work but 2/3 speed change is what you need. Just to test tape some weight equally under the platter. Auto part stores have lead stick on tier weights. Just divide it in quarters evenly. If it does slow it down you can balance it properly. If you have something that fits the center hole of the platter when angled on edge the heavy side will go to the bottom.

As a DIY guy you could theoretically lightly sand the pulley down until you get the right speed. I would say sand a very slight bit, and then check etc. till you get it right on. Give that oil a try first though.

I specifically purchased it for the RB300 arm--not to mention the minimalist styling of the table itself. Everything needs maintenance now and again. So it goes.

Did you test with a record on it?
Do you have a weighted record clamp so you can test with Record & Clamp?

As a DIY guy you could theoretically lightly sand the pulley down until you get the right speed. I would say sand a very slight bit, and then check etc. till you get it right on. Give that oil a try first though.

This isn't an option, the pulley has a V groove in it. I'm going with the oil and fresh belt solution first.

Did you test with a record on it?
Do you have a weighted record clamp so you can test with Record & Clamp?

Yeah, I tested both with and without an LP. Same speed both times. I do not have a clamp. Probably going to make one out of a hockey puck at some point!

I'v read the same thing that the Rega tables run fast, making any changes might loose the lively sound they are known for, maybe not accurate but in keeping with the minimalist design/construction.

The 50 Hz pulley would run much, much faster - theoretically 40 RPM on 60 Hz power. A different belt diameter will also change the speed by a small amount. Increasing the subplatter diameter would slow it down, but from 34 down to 33-1/3 seems like a lot. The tape or whatever you add would need to be around 0.04" thick, if my math is right.

Get one of TT power supplies that GENERATE adjustable frequency output and forget about speed problem.

The 50 Hz pulley would run much, much faster - theoretically 40 RPM on 60 Hz power. A different belt diameter will also change the speed by a small amount. Increasing the subplatter diameter would slow it down, but from 34 down to 33-1/3 seems like a lot. The tape or whatever you add would need to be around 0.04" thick, if my math is right.

Thanks Bob that's helpful. Hopefully it's something simple.

...you may indeed have the 50Hz pulley, and be in need of the slightly smaller 60Hz pulley. That could be giving you the variation that you are seeing. Do you know where your table came from? Is it new to you? Is it form the UK?

No. Do the math. A 50Hz pulley has to be about 20% bigger than a 60Hz pulley (50÷60 = 0.83333, 1.00 ÷ 0.83333 = 1.2) so a 50Hz pulley would make the turntable run at nearly 40 rpm (33.3333 x 1.2 = 39.9999). He is dealing with an issue MUCH smaller than the difference between a 50Hz and a 60Hz pulley.

Back
Top Bottom