Rega Unvails 2017 Brio-R!

Has anyone heard both the Rega Brio-R and the Peachtree products (like the Decco)? I like my Peachtree but if the Rega has better sonics, I may try one out some day in place of the Peachtree.

Still no built in DAC. Come on!

Hawkeye, your sig is enormous (in size) by the way. :)

Still no built in DAC. Come on!

Hawkeye, your sig is enormous (in size) by the way. :)

You know what they say...big speakers, big signature. Something like that. Yeah, I'm going to shrink that when I get a second...it is obnoxious. I just wanted to be able to list all my gear, but not BILLBOARD SIZE!

One U.K. dealer shows a price of £598, if that's true then with today's rates that's only $740!

I settled on the previous Brio-R when I was looking for an office system. I looked at Peachtree Audio, PrimaLuna, Creek, Leben and Marantz. The Rega just outshone the others and decision was easy. I also got the DAC-R and Apollo-R. Using Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

I settled on the previous Brio-R when I was looking for an office system. I looked at Peachtree Audio, PrimaLuna, Creek, Leben and Marantz. The Rega just outshone the others and decision was easy. I also got the DAC-R and Apollo-R. Using Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

Nice, i'm tempted to pick up the previous model also which would be $300-$400 less than the new 2017 one...waiting for some user reports back on the newest model though before making a decision

I just demoed one today running a planar 3. I'd never heard either before. Great sound. I wasn't a huge fan of the Rega 3 speakers (bass was slightly inarticulate for me) but the brio-r really surprised me. I'm struggling with the lack of any digital input. I guess i understand their design philosophy it's just not one I was prepared to embrace quite yet. Still on the fence but my ears liked it.

Looks great. Good to hear it's been seriously revamped too. Might move my awsome Brio-R into another room with some cheaper Wharfedales and build a whole new main setup around the new Brio 2017 with some KEF LS50s and maybe a new Planar 3 table to boot!

Last edited:
I went back yesterday to audition the RP6 TT with the Brio-R. The difference is fairly significant over the Planar 3. If you're thinking of upgrading the Planar 3 to add the external power supply unit (about $350), then I'd strongly suggest you give the RP6 a listen. By the time you upgrade the Planar 3 PSU and if you upgrade to the Exact cartridge, you'e basically at the RP6 price range. Then, my dealer put a Linn LP12 through the same Brio-R system. The difference over the RP6 was huge. I'd never heard a Linn before. Of course, now I want one. LOL

But, the bottom line was I listened to three TT from $1100 to $4,000 and the Brio-R sounded great (to my ears) through all of them.

Does anyone have any more input on the 2017 Rega Brio? Lot of good reviews out there. $995. I watched the videos of the Rega plant tour. Interesting company.

So it's no longer the Brio-R but just Brio.

I picked up one of these to set up a system in my new office. Still undecided on speakers and source but considering the LS50 for front end. Seems like the LS50 really can't be faulted. But since they are in the office they will just be plonked on a desk and it seems like it would be a waste.

Heard the Brio-R a couple years back and hearing this (both on the same 91dB sensitive floor standers) the Brio is a welcome improvement. The sound is richer, wider band and slightly more powerful than the Brio-R from memory. Very inviting and safe sound, while still providing all the right details and timbre in the music. I really have no complaints, other than I would caution people trying to play loud.

Back
Top Bottom