Rega vs Pro-Ject

DoktaDave

Hi Guys
I am in the process of building my first system with second hand gear and currently have the opportunity to buy either a Pro-Ject Debut III or a Rega P25. I was wondering if the assembled wisdom here could comment on their relative merits.

There is also the option of a Garrad SP25 which needs a clean up. Is that even worth looking at?

Thanks in advance

IMHO, the Rega turntable suspension and motor system just feels cheap, for what they're charging for it. Almost invariably, you can spend 2/3 the money on a Project, and get EVERY BIT of the build quality and performance of a Rega, in pretty much any price range.

BTW: I'm speaking as someone who has sold both, at the retail level...

Regards,
Gordon.

Not a Rega fan at all....but I might in this case chose the P25, assuming it is in very good condition as 2nd hand.

Can't speak to the Rega but I had a Pro-Ject Debut II and was fairly unimpressed. Fortunately the resale value was high enough that I actually made money when I sold it, that's about the only good thing I can say about it...

I've had both and prefer the Debut Carbon DC. I had the original Debut Carbon, and sold it because of hum. The new DC has eliminated the hum and is a much better TT in my opinion. Didn't really care for the Rega......

Has anyone had some hands-on time with the TEAC TN-300? It looks like an awesome turntable and is in the same price range.

Plus, it has automatic. Plus for me, but I know not a preferred option for some.

Back
Top Bottom