rehab a thrift store dual 1241... where do I start?

FatsLeDieux

Hi all, hope I'm posting in the right area here (raise your hand if you're a noob?). I bought a dual 1241 that is in good cosmetic condition but needs work. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and would like to try to do it myself as a learning project, but I don't really know where to start. The motor starts but the table will only turn very slowly and the auto mechanism doesn't seem to be functioning. Anyone have any advice on where I can start to learn how to service these things and what tools / supplies I'll need? Thanks!

The more seasoned Dual restorers will join shortly. But absolutely do not force anything. With vintage Duals, the grease and lubrication has hardened over the years, making levers, pivot points stuck or sticking. Rubbing alcohol, or lighter fluid and Q-Tips will soften/remove the hardened lubes. DUAL has specific lubes for specific areas of their Tables. Advice will come along on proper lubricants needed.

The motor starts but the table will only turn very slowly and the auto mechanism doesn't seem to be functioning. Anyone have any advice on where I can start to learn how to service these things and what tools / supplies I'll need? Thanks!

First check the power belt, if slipping, change it.

Awesome, thanks all. I was hoping to get the voice of experience. The table didn't cost much, but obv. I'd like to not make things worse with a dumb mistake. I'll be sure to look for the correct lubricants (important in so many areas of life ;)

So I have a question. Are the recommended lubes the same ones that harden with age? Isn't there better stuff out there today?

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom