Rejuvinating a Philips n7150 - cap replacement

df_genius

Hello,

I picked this up over the weekend for £25. Excellent condition, just a blown VU bulb to replace. I have changed the capstan belt (tables are direct drive), lined the heads up and given it a thorough clean. But adjusting rec. level and bias etc. it barely comes up to spec and sounds 'unstable' at the top end. It should be noted that playback has no such problems and is excellent.

I am wondering if it is suffering from old capacitors, here is a pic of the main board:

I don't yet have a copy of the service manual but have a good idea of what I am doing (if I can set up my Akai GX-77 to make perfect recordings I can do the same with this!) I have found a wesite locating the adjustmanets for its predecessor, the n4504 (http://www.makarateyp.com/Rep/N4504/n4504pot.htm)

As far as I can make out, the two variable resistors next to the L line out adjust the bias and the two next to the multiplay socket adjust rec. level (not sure what the two inbetween do...?)

I want to make a few changes to this as is necessary, so which capacitors in the recording path do you think I should change? What should I change them for?

Cheers!

I have the service manual in transit from Germany, but am still looking to replace the caps I need to - which would be best to change first? With what?

Back
Top Bottom