Rek-O-Kut / Gray Research Combination

mshopcraft

Hello All,
Another newbie here. Recently pulled a built-in Rek-O-Kut TR16 sporting a Gray Research 103-S tonearm from a soon-to-be-demolished bungalow. No plinth as such, just a half inch fir plywood stand built into a closet. I was actually able to turn it on before taking it out. I was told it had originally come from a local radio station. 18 inch platter, 16 inch tonearm, and two speeds - 78 and 33 1/3. I'll try to include photos here, but I'm an OLD newbie.
Any info, thoughts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P1110495.jpg
    P1110495.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 147
  • P1110498.jpg
    P1110498.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 94
  • P1110497.jpg
    P1110497.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
ROK & Gray Research

Thanks for your confirmation. There seems to be a dearth of info on these brands, for some reason. I called up one of the so-called experts on Rek-O- Kut, and after telling me I must have misread the model #, he allowed as how he'd never heard of such a beast, and had never encountered anything by Gray Research, either. He did warn me off believing anything I might have heard on a certain well-established group of audio forums, however. Very helpful sort of fella. So, my search continues...
Meanwhile, I shall console myself with Oscar P.'s Very Tall Band, as interpreted by my trusty Rega Planar 3 / Grace F/9 running thru a Vector Research VRX 9100. Life is tough.
Salud,

MH

Those are both commercial broadcast transcription pieces, so the only folks who will know about them are owners, previous owners, and gray haired eminences. You are diving back into the late 1950s with them.

Try www.hifilit.com for starters. And you will strike out there.

I did see a reference to a 1947 TR16 in the lead for an item online, but it turned out to be just a very long list of equipment owned by various people.
Looking at the 108-c, it reminds me of one on a turntable I recall seeing in the record library of the old AM radio station in Niagara Falls some thirty odd years ago. I believe it had been used by a past program director to clear music for airplay. They also had a huge old Ampex 2" tape machine, but that's another forum.

Just had a look at Vinylengine and found a brief squib on the Gray Research 103-S; apparently it was very light for the time and seems to have been well regarded.

mshopcraft
i think i can help. i have instructions for Gray 103 arm models.
give me Your e-mail if You still need it.

Regards, Alex

Last edited:
Man is that an awesome setup. There is a ton of info online and on this site about Rek-O-Kut, such as the sticky thread up at the top of this forum.

However, there's not a whole lot out there about Gray Research. There are also clones of the Gray transcription arms called "Velvet Touch," which may or may not have been manufactured by Grace.

If you feel like reading about all of the Gray clones you can look here http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=5501.0 and here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=408120

Perhaps that will help you some...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom