Rek-O-Kut Turntables - ROK

I have an L34 and had to find a switch for it. Found one and installed it. But it always bugged me that I couldn't stop it on a dime so to speak like my Russco Cue Master and Technics SL1200Mk2's I have. So I added a switch and neon light like the Russco has and took out the factory type switch. Now it stops like my Russco and my Technics Sl1200Mk2's. And it starts in about a quarter turn to full speed. It didn't have a suppression cap for the switch so I added a capacitor and resistor.

I rebuilt the motor because it was real slow getting up to speed, like 5 to 10 minutes, Once warmed up it was OK when started and stopped. Just a problem when cold. My Russco has the same problem. Well even after I rebuilt the motor it did pretty much the same thing. One day I accidentally left the power switch on for a whole day and didn't know it because I leave a towel covering the turntable. The turntable was not running just the motor. Man it was hot after running all day. I thought I ruined it. But everything was fine. And what do you know now the motor starts from cold and comes to speed immediately.

They are pretty cool little turntables. I also have a B-12-H I'm working on.

Hello out there,
when it comes to Rek-O-Kut I'm an absolute newbie.
But I found a Rondine Deluxe in very good shape for a reasonable price and I just could not resist.
I have a minor issue with the pulley . I need a new one because this one has an imbalance.
But the motor runs a s silent as no other one I had before.
All in all a very good basis for a decent TT.

My only REAL problem...I wanted to use it wich a GE VR-II for mono and 78, but the more I read about the
Rondine the more I'm thinking about a good MC cartridge.

Attachments

• Rondine1.jpg
    Rondine1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 82
Hello out there,
when it comes to Rek-O-Kut I'm an absolute newbie.
But I found a Rondine Deluxe in very good shape for a reasonable price and I just could not resist.
I have a minor issue with the pulley . I need a new one because this one has an imbalance.
But the motor runs a s silent as no other one I had before.
All in all a very good basis for a decent TT.

My only REAL problem...I wanted to use it wich a GE VR-II for mono and 78, but the more I read about the
Rondine the more I'm thinking about a good MC cartridge.

If you want to still stick with Mono, the Denon DL-103 is a great one and it can be used on late (and modern) mono pressings as it has a modern type LP stylus that is safe to use. The only thing with going with MC is that you would have to have a second headshell with a 78 cartridge for playing them. The VRs would be a good choice for this. You could always get a VR with the turnaround stylus holder and be ready for both instances. They aren't too expensive to try and they are a lot of fun and sound great. Might be a good place to start. The turnaround assembly can pass through the headshell you have after you pop that button insert off of the top of it.

Not sure which Shure is on your arm currently but I'd be willing to bet you could get different styli for it as well. A Shure M78 or SC35C would also be a good choice for this setup and would enable you to swap styli on the same cartridge. Have fun with it!

Well, finally got thru all of the posts, some great info in here! I have picked several ROKs and am now working on getting the most complete one up and running, its an R-34 with a Pabst motor that was just covered in brown cigarette tar everywhere! Got it cleaned up nicely and the tonearm rewired and ready to go, the main problem, outside of a new belt, is the rubber mounts on both the motor (the old ones are smaller than the ones I got on ebay) and the rubber mounts at the bottom of the springs on suspended portion of the table, they are rock hard. Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing those mounts? Esoteric had no answers. Thanks!

Well, finally got thru all of the posts, some great info in here! I have picked several ROKs and am now working on getting the most complete one up and running, its an R-34 with a Pabst motor that was just covered in brown cigarette tar everywhere! Got it cleaned up nicely and the tonearm rewired and ready to go, the main problem, outside of a new belt, is the rubber mounts on both the motor (the old ones are smaller than the ones I got on ebay) and the rubber mounts at the bottom of the springs on suspended portion of the table, they are rock hard. Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing those mounts? Esoteric had no answers. Thanks!
Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?

My B12H motor is pretty loud. I have a parts B12H and the motor is dead silent. I was wanting to see if I could get the one I actually use a little quieter without having to swap the motor out. Has anyone ever flushed one out? I was wanting some guidance on how to do it. Or is taking apart the motor the best option?

Hi folks:

Joining the Rek-o-kut fold, as it turns out my father had an L-34 in the basement, stored very well and I brought it back to Brooklyn, from whence it came.

I’ve not done much cleanup yet, the platter runs with a light flutter. The pulled is somewhat corroded, and the idlers are hardened, so that’s my first line of attack.

It came with an ESL tone arm, not sure whether 1K or 2K, but it’s in great shape.

Questions:

The strobe disc in the center is yellowed, any tips on cleaning?

I get some crackling when rotating the start knob, is this normal or a sign of a bad capacitor?

RCAs or direct connection? Can’t decide how to wire the tone arm.

Here’s a pic of my start at a plinth. I’m going to mount the tonearm on the cherry inlay, so it follows that the photo is from the back view. Going to put a couple of layers of MDF below the top for mass, and wrap the whole thing the cherry.

Attachments

• 6D27E3ED-D73B-4BBA-BABD-203C5828AE66.jpeg
    6D27E3ED-D73B-4BBA-BABD-203C5828AE66.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57
Got a lot of work done on the plinth over the long weekend, its shaping up nicely! I'm at the finishing phase right now, and waiting on sorbothane washers to suspend the tonearm board and the main plinth from the lower stand.

I've got a spare board for the tonearm cut so I can test out the mounting distance...

rV78L9CwQ6ahxy60Si3IkQ.jpg qlsmnLweQKCj6lmpat%FxA.jpg

How dry and rigid is the plastic/rubber mat? I which there was replacement made, mine is so dried out.

It’s not rigid, no cracking, but it’s not soft either. Seems in decent shape for being ~60 years old, I need to give it a hot water wash and maybe some kind of rubber treatment.

Progress! Received the cable and solder terminals I was waiting on and wired it up last night. Sounded pretty good with very little hum and a clear signal!

Took it apart again today to add a light coat of wipe-on-poly and do a light polish of the platter. Not sure I want to bring it up to mirror quality.

Pics!

The tonearm board and the lower base are attached with sorbothane washers for (hopefully) some vibration reduction. Did not hear any rumble in last nights test.

HY26HxgSRgSBTk+mQOx1tQ.jpg n6q+GOkyScidOUd1DdLJ2A.jpg

The full assembly, and tonearm details (platter is pre-polishing):

fullsizeoutput_1887.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1888.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1889.jpeg

Underside wiring:

NuVg6uhOT+K+Rh1NJZjn0g.jpg

And I'm working on the next part of the plinth!

gostBp0oRbWPSkkJ96+J7w.jpg

Progress! Received the cable and solder terminals I was waiting on and wired it up last night. Sounded pretty good with very little hum and a clear signal!

Took it apart again today to add a light coat of wipe-on-poly and do a light polish of the platter. Not sure I want to bring it up to mirror quality.

Beautiful job!

I would give my firstborn for a new record mat that looks like the original.

Getting closer, everything is in place and it’s a matter of touching up finishing on the plinth.

Running it tonight though, I was getting an intermittent creak / click from the platter spinning which makes me suspect the bearing has a flat spot. A bummer but hopefully not serious.

But looking pretty good!

0A58F8D4-23D4-4218-B864-E4A298E9AC85.jpeg AF9C866D-F7A0-4512-988B-0A7BFC047E30.jpeg

Getting closer, everything is in place and it’s a matter of touching up finishing on the plinth.

Running it tonight though, I was getting an intermittent creak / click from the platter spinning which makes me suspect the bearing has a flat spot. A bummer but hopefully not serious.

But looking pretty good!

View attachment 1623240 View attachment 1623241

Oh, my! That turntable looks so purdy!

You should do this kind of work for other people!

Just signing on so I don't miss anything. I have an L34, and a Presto, that I will restore someday. Not sure when
John

Back
Top Bottom