REL and Magnepan set up

edshull

I'm running a pair of Magnepan MMC2's (wall mounted), each with DWM's. I'm getting music mostly from a Bluesound going into a Parasound Halo 5 and a Bryston 4bSST2.

I just bought a REL Strata III. I have it hooked up through Hi Level, directly from the Bryston. Overall I'm impressed, but I could use some advice from anyone that's done this with what they found to be the best settings. Right now I'm running B-2 with Hi Level about 40%. It sounds good, but a little overpowering. I'm losing a little of that Maggie air on the mid.

Any feedback from more experienced people would be very helpful. Thanks,

That would be the common sense answer, but I'm now at A-1 with Fine at 2 and Hi Level at 1/4. That seems pretty low. What type of REL do you have?

The sub is to loud, crossed over to high or both. This is from a Maggie owner.

Try moving the subwoofer around the room to find a better blend with the Magnepans, also there's nothing wrong with having the settings on the sub adjusted low if it sounds good when done that way.

I run my Maggie 1.7's with a sub on some genre's of music. I use it mostly to fill in the extreme bottom end. My crossover is set to 50 hz, and the volume is set to about 1.5 to 2. Fills in the low end nicely.

That would be the common sense answer, but I'm now at A-1 with Fine at 2 and Hi Level at 1/4. That seems pretty low. What type of REL do you have?

I have a pair of DIY TL subs and Maggie 1.7's. My electronic crossover is set for ~50Hz. When using a true sub as you are the brand is not important. The sound is all that matters. Magnepan suggests a crossover set at 100Hz for your speakers. I'm not sure how that works with the DWM panels and your Maggies..

How do you like the DWM panels? It sounds like they were not getting the job done if you felt the need for another subwoofer.

I crossed my sub at 80Hz with my MG-I but ended up keeping it off because I felt it dirtied up the nice clean sound ...

DWM panels are NOT subwoofers, and the website is very clear on this point.
Edshull, I'd love to hear your opinions of the DWM, it's advertised as one of the bass panels from the 20., which I believe means they are within a magnetic field supported from both sides of the planar, not just one side like everything BUT the 20.

I'd cross your sub low, I believe mine (stereo pair) are at 80hz right now, set it up like you like for bass reproduction,(volume/ crossover) and then listen to male vocals and mezzo- female vocals that you know very well, and continue to adjust the sub downward until they sound 'correct' to you. It's a fiddly process, and takes some time, meaning days, (weeks) sometimes. adjust, listen, adjust, listen, etc etc...

I crossed my sub at 80Hz with my MG-I but ended up keeping it off because I felt it dirtied up the nice clean sound ...
I was hoping to add a DWM for more bass, I don't need deeper bass, just more bass output... I have a pair of MGIIIa s which I am biamping (one amp high, one amp low), and certainly could add a DWM in line. I also have thought about a small fast 8" sub like an REL, using the subwoofer outs on my preamp (which is adjustable for cutoff)...not sure what would be better, or nothing.

I was hoping to add a DWM for more bass, I don't need deeper bass, just more bass output... I have a pair of MGIIIa s which I am biamping (one amp high, one amp low), and certainly could add a DWM in line. I also have thought about a small fast 8" sub like an REL, using the subwoofer outs on my preamp (which is adjustable for cutoff)...not sure what would be better, or nothing.
Speaking from recent experience, I'd go with the REL. I have DWM's hooked up to my MMC 2's, and REL subs. The subs are a far better investment, especially if you can find a good deal on eBay. I have a couple REL Stratta 2's. They sound nothing like any sub I've used before. They simply add more bass to your speakers, which is what you want.

I'd say go REL and you'll be happy.

One thing to make sure that you do is block the range that is going to the sub. You want some sound to come from one source and the rest to come from the other, with little coming from both. Otherwise, the range where there is overlap will sound muddy. In other words, don't let what is coming from the sub also come out of the Maggies.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thank you, that is helpful. You think the REL is fast enough to mesh with the Maggies?

The REL is an amazing piece of tech. I am so impressed with the servo subwoofer I even picked another up on eBay to match a pair of in-wall Martin Logan's I know were going to lack the bass I needed. It completely changed how I look at subs. The servo keeps them fast.

Make sure to hook them up directly to the amp, as they are meant, and you'll be surprised. Like you, I saw many touting the virtues of servo subs but was skeptical. Get ready to enjoy things at a new level.

One tip, you're likely going to end up bringing the settings to the lowest levels. These subs do change the sound quite a bit. Anything higher than the lowest settings for me made my Maggies sound more like typical high end speakers; not bad, but not that signature Maggie sound. Truth be told, I plan on doing a tri-center Maggie system with dual REL's for the outer main speakers, and just DWM's on the center pair.

Nice! I look forward to your impressions with the tri-center system, and I have to say, I agree with everything you just wrote.

Once I got past the (BOOM) stage, (and we all do this with a sub at first) all my subs end up crossed over LOW, and the gain is somewhwere around 1 on most, that's where the magic happens. I'm personally sold on subs in every system, especially my highest end 'presentation' system. It's just fairly slow to get everything dialed in.

I'd still love to hear any impressions/feedback on the DWM, as it's a quite inventive way to increase 'maggie' bass.. Is it a push/pull magnet system like the 20. or is it single ended like everything else Magnepan makes?

I have DWM's hooked up to my MMC 2's, and REL subs.

I'd still love to hear any impressions/feedback on the DWM

Edshull, I would love to hear your impressions of the DWM as well. Do they make a difference? How much of a difference? Is it subtle or strong? Can you "feel" the bass from them? Have you tried moving them around the room to see how it changes the sound?

It does sound like there is a double set of magnets that drive the DWM from the website description.

I recently got a second set of Magnepans, MGIIbs, which I was considering using as just bass panels. Anyone else try this?

Once I got past the (BOOM) stage, (and we all do this with a sub at first) all my subs end up crossed over LOW, and the gain is somewhwere around 1 on most, that's where the magic happens. I'm personally sold on subs in every system, especially my highest end 'presentation' system. It's just fairly slow to get everything dialed in.

How you doing Jazzmans?

My Maggie 1.7's and Polk sub are set just like you described. Next upgrade after the incoming phono cartridge is going to be a top quality sub.

I like the Maggie's without the sub on, although like you, I have become sold myself, on subs in every system

Nice! I look forward to your impressions with the tri-center system, and I have to say, I agree with everything you just wrote.

I'd still love to hear any impressions/feedback on the DWM, as it's a quite inventive way to increase 'maggie' bass.. Is it a push/pull magnet system like the 20. or is it single ended like everything else Magnepan makes?

Thanks. Keep in mind I have the MMC2's. I can tell you these things would be unacceptable to without the DWM's. Far too weak. The DWM's added some kick, especially when I swapped in the Bryston. It made them pretty much on par with a 1.7, but nowhere near anything above that.

It's my plan to build a custom wall unit housing dual MMC2's and the center channel to make a Tri-center system. So I took the step to test out the MMC2's to see if they could deliver something on par with the 3.7's. Despite what many reviewers said, I find them nowhere near that level. And that's reasonable. But when I added in the REL's, which I got for a killer price on eBay, I'd say they are actually superior to stand alone 3.7's.

So I'm moving forward. The current plan is to have dual MMC2's, a pair of REL Strata's on the outside MMC's (the ones that are supposed to be 3.7's), and the DWM's on the inside pair of MMC's. They will be powered by a Bryston 4b SST2, and 6b SST2. I'm thinking that should give me the big Magnepan sound in a nice wall unit.

It's about a year away, but I'll certainly post as to what I find.

Edshull, I would love to hear your impressions of the DWM as well. Do they make a difference? How much of a difference? Is it subtle or strong? Can you "feel" the bass from them? Have you tried moving them around the room to see how it changes the sound?

It does sound like there is a double set of magnets that drive the DWM from the website description.

I recently got a second set of Magnepans, MGIIbs, which I was considering using as just bass panels. Anyone else try this?

The short answer is, yes. They made a big difference. But I was on MMC2's. They are really required for that. I would say if you're running full size Maggies, you'd be better off with a REL. They really do add a level of depth to the system and truly change the way the speakers sound.

Back
Top Bottom