Rel Subwoofer and McIntosh Balanced Amp?

I've got my REL wired like they want...at the speaker terminals on my MC60s. But I get a hum from the REL when the amps are on. Should I hook the REL neg. to the neg. terminal instead of common?....or to the chassis?

Thanks!

You should a chassis screw for this connection. Chassis screw for ground on the modern amps.

Thanks,
Ron-C

For Ron C........I am considering adding a REL sub to my present system which is powered by a Mcintosh MA7000 integrated amp. Due to it not being a balanced amp should I be clear of the above problems and may I hook up the sub as REL suggests?

What about for a vintage McIntosh SS amp?

Looks like I will be getting a REL T-7/i this weekend. I want to use the REL speakon / high level connection if possible. However, I have a vintage amp, MC 2105. Should I connect the REL Speakon Black wire to a neg/common speaker terminal OR to a chassis ground / screw?. I don't believe the MC 2105 is a balanced amp, but I read elsewhere the autoformer acts as a balanced design because the negative circuits for L/R to not combine like they do in a single ended design. I apologize some of this is beyond me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also if I do have to connect to a ground or chassis screw it gets a little complicated with my setup. My NHT speakers plug into wall outlets with speaker terminals. Speaker wire goes from these outlets up the wall into the attic and back down the ceiling of my AV closet where the MC 2105 sits. The REL sub will sit close to the speakers. I had planned on connecting the SpeakON cable to the positive of each and negative of one of the outlets. However, if I have to ground it, I have no where to go with the negative cable end. I can't get it back to the amp. If that is the case, it seems my only choice is to use the RCA input in the REL which is a bummer (I have a RCA outlet in the wall for my previous sub connection) OR hook up the speakon cable in my AV closet to the McIntosh and buy REL's Arrow wireless system.

Last edited:
Thank you!

In other words, just to confirm, I am safe to hook up the speakon cable to the following speaker outlet terminals: (L) positive, (R) positive, and either (L) or (R) negative? No need to hook the negative to the chassis ground since the amp is not balanced?

Thank you!

In other words, just to confirm, I am safe to hook up the speakon cable to the following speaker outlet terminals: (L) positive, (R) positive, and either (L) or (R) negative? No need to hook the negative to the chassis ground since the amp is not balanced?

Yes this is correct, you've got it......:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom