Relamping a 700M

Alobar

Addicted Member
Just got the 3 main boards back from EchoWars and got it all together with new output transistors and it is sounding really outstanding at this point. Now that it has had a partial overhaul I am looking at something purely ornamental, the lamps. 3 of the 6 are out and now all of a sudden it bugs me, go figure. I'm sure someone on here has done this and was wondering if you could share the knowledge for me and anyone else who wants to go down this road. At this point I really don't care if they are LED or incandescent, just want it to look as pretty as it sounds! Thanks!

20160326_141226.jpg

The original lamps are 8V 300mA, T-3 1/4 style, but with a rounded bulb, like the 7.5V lamps here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/si...builderpictures/wedge_screw_bayonet_lamps.jpg

That's from Dave's webpage, but you can't use those 7.5V lamps, as they will be overvolted and their lifespan significantly shortened. I've been using the lamps on the right (the wedge lamp, not the screw lamp), but they are so long that they push up against the faceplate & glass.

Been wanting to try retrofitting the stock lamp holders with these: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/JKL-Components/2964-6B/?qs=/ha2pyFadujQJS1FtIm%2bMsI0j%2b7gRBni/bVp2ZaTdempkvkmQ42iMA== (no pic, but check the datasheet). These are sockets for the wedge lamps with leads. Since the lamps are properly fitted into a socket, they ought to be recessed properly and not mash against the faceplate. I suspect that the rubber section might be a tad too large to fit perfectly into the stock holder and have been contemplating a method to neatly reduce the diameter of the part that has to press into the metal socket holder on the 700M. Probably a sanding wheel on the Dremel, and a bit of WD-40 on a Q-Tip to apply some lube to the socket to ease its installation.

Only problem with this method is the work involved. 6 lamps and 12 wires to desolder and re-solder. But once done, a burnt-out lamp no longer means a major effort to replace...pop the bad lamp out of the socket and pop a new one in.

Dave sells the lamps you need. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/index.html

If, in the future, these 8V 250mA lamps disappear, you can sub a #192 wedge lamp (13V 330mA). They are noticeably dimmer than the 8V 250mA lamps, but usable and with such an undervolt, they ought to last for decades.

The original lamps are 8V 300mA, T-3 1/4 style, but with a rounded bulb, like the 7.5V lamps here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/si...builderpictures/wedge_screw_bayonet_lamps.jpg

That's from Dave's webpage, but you can't use those 7.5V lamps, as they will be overvolted and their lifespan significantly shortened. I've been using the lamps on the right (the wedge lamp, not the screw lamp), but they are so long that they push up against the faceplate & glass.

What if I just ran the 7.5's with the dimmer always switched on? I was kinda looking for an easy path with less chance of me mucking something up in there, being a bit of a klutz around tiny wires and soldering irons etc!

That's a bit much of kluge...if you just want to install a lamp and be done with it, order the 8V 250mA wedge lamps and put 'em in. Like I said, they mash up against the faceplate, but it doesn't really hurt anything. What I recommended in my previous post was a way to get it all done neatly and professionally, and make it super-easy to replace a burnt-out lamp in the future.

That's a bit much of kluge...if you just want to install a lamp and be done with it, order the 8V 250mA wedge lamps and put 'em in. Like I said, they mash up against the faceplate, but it doesn't really hurt anything. What I recommended in my previous post was a way to get it all done neatly and professionally, and make it super-easy to replace a burnt-out lamp in the future.
That sounds good then, think I will order the 8v lamps and squeeze them in and give them a try.
Thanks!

Ask Dave about connecting some wires to the wedge lamps for you...it's kinda tricky.

Ask Dave about connecting some wires to the wedge lamps for you...it's kinda tricky.
That would be a great thing if he will do that. I just tried pulling one of the lamps out and the wires came off the lamp. It must be very intricate work to solder these tiny wires on. Not only is my eyesight not that great but I find my hand isn't as steady as it once was. Damn I am getting old!

Back
Top Bottom