Relay Frustration!! Carver HTR-880 Output Relay Available?

scottm015

I need to replace the speaker relay on my HTR 880, does anyone know if their is a direct replacement available for this? Why do they use relays when they know the signal is degraded over time and they will wear out? Is there not a better design for this like maybe a current sensing circuit to cut power to the output transistors? Everytime I see this problem I feel like jumping the relay and designing another circuit in other places for the amp to protect itself. Any ideas?

The first thing to do is to read the part number written on the relay case, and the manufacturer's name. It may be a simple matter of buying a direct replacement. If not, you have to determine the coil voltage for the relay (usually part of the part number; 12V, or 24V are most used.) And you need to determine if it is double pole or 4 pole. Then you measure the dimensions for the pin - pin distances and go to www.digikey.com and find a replacement that fits. The higher the contact current rating, the better. Let's start with the part number. Post it here and I'll try to help.

Bob Carver runs a repair shop in Oregon with partner, Rita. You might want to check with them, as they sell part's too. I ordered some power switches from Rita a few years ago, and very good to deal with.

I know this thread is very old. Did you find out what the exact relay was you needed? I am in need of a replacement for the Carver receiver I found.

Thanks.

Are you sure the relay is the problem? If it isn't kicking in, you might have other issues such as a shorted output device or a power supply problem somewhere.

You can easily take a meter to the relay coil to see if it is open or not.

Yes. The really kicks in each time, but one or the other speakers cut out or sometimes both don't come on right away. Cranking up the volume gets both working.

I just took out the relay. Here are pics. I can't find the exact one online. Any chance someone can help me find the exact substitute to replace it on digikey?

Attachments

• IMG_8707.JPG
    IMG_8707.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8706.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 47
Not sure where you can find replacements but look at the contacts. Sometimes the contacts get dirty and a simple cleaning will clear it up.

I might have a couple of those relays lying around. Nothing special as I have pirated those types from old projection TV's in the past.

Be sure to deox the speaker selector also.

EDIT: Well, I took a look at the one's I have and unfortunately they are 12 volt. Sorry!

Last edited:
No problem. I am currently looking on Digikey.com, but am not sure how to read the information about the relay to get the correct replacement. Do you know how to read these?

Thanks. I had found that online, but I am having a hard time finding the right replacement with the right pins. I found a website that had replacements for this relay since it is discontinued. I sent them a message. I hope to hear back today or tomorrow.

If you find a relay with the 2 extra pins you can simply clip them off and use it since these contacts are not needed for your application. That is what I did for my Carver amp when I replaced the relays and it has been cranking now for several years since.

Make sure you replace both since you don't want to have to do this again.

Update.

So, I was able to easily pry open the top to the relay. I followed a guide online and cleaned the contacts with strips of paper and a small amount of contact cleaner on the strips. Soldered the relay back on and fired it up. No cut out on either channel. I confirmed this by testing it multiple times. I'm going to go ahead and order another relay as back up because I'm sure to have the issue again, but for now I'll enjoy the awesome sound this amp puts out. I just wish I knew the specs... I can't find them anywhere. Thanks for your help!

@dneu201 I just picked up a Carver HTR880 and am having the same relay issue. Can you share any links that will help me get started with this repair? You mentioned a guide online. Thanks

I don't have any links since it's been awhile since I've did this but I do remember seeing a video online of someone doing the exact same thing with a relay on an old Marantz unit. I would recommend de-soldering the relay to do exactly what I did. The top should pop right off but you want to make sure you push down on the contacts when you insert the strips with deoxit so both pieces are in contact with the strip and can be cleaned. Worse case if you damage the relay you can just replace it with an equivalent.

Here is the video. Ideally, if you can get the cover off while it's still installed you can insert the deoxit strips, turn on the unit, allow the relay to engage, then pull the strips out to clean it. I would repeat a couple times.

Awesome! Thanks dneu201. I just dropped the receiver off with the stereo shop where I bought it and they're going to take a look at it. I had a guy in my town look at it and he thought it was the volume control knob. I'll let you know what the ultimate diagnosis is. Who knows, I may end up with a Marantz (as in the video) if the Carver doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom