relay question GY24w vs Ry24w, are they the same?

GlenGC

hi all,
i have a Rotel 990bx with an issue of one channel showing capacitor discharge sound on shut down.
the channel continues to play music gradually reducing volume over few seconds..

i am assuming this is due to one channel on the relay stuck.

the relay on the amp is labelled model GY24W, however, i've been unable to source it.
there are some pictures of it on google from old listings on aliexpress but all sold out, yet i am able to source very similar relay from same brand labelled RY24w

every other spec on the relays are identical, schematic is identical, size looks the same, and colour is blue instead of black..

just wondering if Rotel had theirs labelled as GY just to make the part unique to their gear, and if the RY version is the same thing or not..

thank you in advance

The RY24W series is apparently intended for signal switching, not power. The highest rated version only handles 2A, which is unsuitable for speaker switching. Perhaps someone else can suggest a footprint-compatible relay that will do the job.

hi
i've noticed such mention in the description but the values on the relay's are identical
to be more precise here are some pictures.
the black one is identical to the one in the amp, the blue one is available in the market
GY24W-K-GY-24W-K-8-PINES-24-V-Relé-de-Señal-original-Nuevo.jpg

$_58.JPG

i couldn't see any other relays on the amplifier.. these look tiny to to do the switch on the power outline, maybe there is some other system it utilises ?
am i interpreting the issue of the amp wrong?
this relay is located at the top side behind the green pcb
other thing is i was just checking the tech manual,
in fact the relay in there in the parts list is noted as RY24W-KJ RELAY,
strangely the one on the amp is GY..and K not KJ , manual just says relay doesn't say what type of relay

this picture is not of my amp.. it's from the web

90046.jpg

Last edited:
It appears that the contact ratings are identical, so I would guess that this relay serves some purpose other than speaker switching. Post or link to a legible schematic if you want more analysis.

It's an input side muting relay. This amp doesn't have a speaker switching relay, so it might be normal to hear decaying audio at power-down time. Does the relay click at power-down time?

It's an input side muting relay. This amp doesn't have a speaker switching relay, so it might be normal to hear decaying audio at power-down time. Does the relay click at power-down time?
it clicks on at the power on, that is audible, i can't hear power off click for sure because its simultaneous with the button clicking down. i might be able to test this powering down from plug or plug button
the exact symptom is

- the second i turn the amp on before the relay clicks, the right channel already has sound, the left channel activates after the relay clicks.
- the second i turn the amp off, left channel cuts sound, but right channel continues to play till the capacitor discharges.

i guess best is , i remove the existing relay, and check if one channel of it is actually stuck on

Last edited:
Muting relays generally work by shorting the signal, so it's either stuck open on one side or (more likely) has a contaminated contact. That's a particular problem with 'dry circuit' relays.

Muting relays generally work by shorting the signal, so it's either stuck open on one side or (more likely) has a contaminated contact. That's a particular problem with 'dry circuit' relays.
thank you for all your help! it looks like we're on the right track replacing this thing.

to my endless frustration.. replacing the relay did not fix the issue on the right channel.. amp still behaves same on that channel ... (*&&^%#$)(*)(&$*#&^*^%&^#$(*&(*#$

Amplifier problems get much, MUCH worse than this, so save your annoyance for when it's really needed. :rolleyes: Did you confirm the old relay defect with an ohmmeter? What about continuity of the PCB tracks and pads?

Amplifier problems get much, MUCH worse than this, so save your annoyance for when it's really needed. :rolleyes: Did you confirm the old relay defect with an ohmmeter? What about continuity of the PCB tracks and pads?
old relay measured fine, but i replaced it regardless just to make sure... i was just inspecting the leads and sockets from that board to the right side.. i checked them reseated them.. checked for any cold soldering around there and nothing seems wrong.. my frustration is boosted by the fact that the AH that sold me these (along with another rotel amp, 2 sets of bw speakers and some other stuff) claimed everything was fine but wouldn't let me test .. as it was in storage,, every single shit i bought from him had an issue.. blown tweeters, blown capacitors, blown channels...)

bloody f.. hell :D
i was double checking the wires from that module, thinking i could reverse the sides and see if problem moves to left channel.. it's when i realised one of the cables was inserted in the wrong way..
the white wire on triple socket was on the wrong side.. i reversed it and woilaa... it's fixed..

someone must have mocked around with it in the past .. weird... weird..stuff..
when i replaced the relay i didn't touch the wires... and tested it right after that so i am sure this was the issue all along..
edit: yup.. i just found a picture of the unit i've taken last month.. yes the upper wire on right hand side coming from relay module is plugged in wrong...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom