Reliable DD Turntable

PJ62

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have had nothing but belt drive turntables during my life, and I don't have any gripes with them. When I was a younger lad, in college all my buddies had big Japanese DD (Yamaha, Pioneer, JVC) turntables that they thought were the cat's meow. I have decided to try one out before I leave this earth just to experience them. So what would be a few model suggestions that are not Technics? (my wife hates silver components, and to be honest, I much prefer black or wood finish as well for a turntable) I'm not a brand snob, don't care what the label says, as long as the thing sounds reasonably good. Looking for something anvil like, no sensors or chips to go bad, nothing to break, super reliable, set and forget. Also, something I have a reasonable chance of finding out in the wild, no TOTL, 221v, Uzbekistan only, handmade by Santa's elves models either. Can you guys throw some models out there that I should keep an eye out for?

If I'm not mistaken, the only outfit that makes DD tt's now, other than Technics, is Hanpin. The stuff is rebadged and sold by other companies. This is not meant to be an endorsement. I'm just stating the situation.

The higher-end Hanpin stuff is reliable in the sense that it can take a beating by DJ's working in clubs.

You can get brand new Technics SL1210GR's in black.

Last edited:
My bad, budget is under $500. Yeah, I figured I would be getting a used one, so I would be looking at tts that are 35 years old or older, hence the desire for highly reliable models.

Well, maybe some other people can toss in some ideas. To be perfectly honest I cannot, in good conscience, recommend a new turntable that costs less than $1500. That's just the way I roll.

Last edited:
I had a Sony PS-X500 DD table with end of record lift bought it new sold it to another AK member who is still using it and trouble free since day one. With $500 budget should be able to find one in nice shape and if it doesn't already have a good cartridge still have enough left over to buy a good cartridge.

Sticking with what I consider the "upper-mid-tier" of tables that come as an integrated unit (tonearm included or built in) and not separate drive units, and considering your aesthetic comments:

Sony PS-X50/60/70. Great arm and with the exception of a few very easy to replace components, dead reliable.

JVC TT-71/81 and derivatives (QL-7, QL-A7, QL-8)

Kenwood makes a few excellent DD units that have the wood look. @Grenadeslio would be your expert on those. I don't know their model numbers very well.

Yamaha YP-D8 and it's relatives above/below in the product line.

Honestly, I don't think any of the DD tables have a particularly bad reputation for reliablity, *if* they have been maintained properly. If you want utmost reliability, stay away from servo arms, as nice as they are.

A fair number of the CEC manufactured models would fit the bill. Actual CEC-branded tables are few and far between in the US; however, they built tables for Marantz and Radio Shack (LAB series)--amongst others--which are fairly basic "workhorse" DD tables. I just recently sold an Hitachi DD table that appeared to be a CEC build as well.

You know damned well that everyone and their brother is going to try to cram a Technics SL-1200 down your throat, but there is a lot more out there to look at in DD.

Another option is Denon, but a lot of their models (although very reliable), do involve IC chips and servo controls.

A fair number of the CEC manufactured models would fit the bill. Actual CEC-branded tables are few and far between in the US; however, they built tables for Marantz and Radio Shack (LAB series) which are fairly basic "workhorse" DD tables. I just recently sold an Hitachi DD table that appeared to be a CEC build as well.

You know damned well that everyone and their brother is going to try to cram a Technics SL-1200 down your throat, but there is a lot more out there to look at in DD.

Another option is Denon, but a lot of their models (although very reliable), do involve IC chips and servo controls.

CEC were sold in Europe under the Visionik brand. I think they're as or more common over there, depending on region.

I like Denon but I think their servo arms lag Sony and JVC in terms of performance. Their separate drive units are great, though I don't particularly like the aesthetics.

Yeah, I've actually just been researching the Sony PS-X5/6/7 line, I do like the the idea of lifting the tonearm, but I don't know if that's something to go wrong in the future.....

Yeah, I've actually just been researching the Sony PS-X5/6/7 line, I do like the the idea of lifting the tonearm, but I don't know if that's something to go wrong in the future.....

mechanical auto-return mechanisms are usually pretty robust. As long as any dried grease is taken care of, in general, they just keep chugging.

I think the 50/60/70 are better tables than the 5/6/7 but the latter are still very nice.

I see quite a few Denon drive units for sale, some with plinths and arms. Mostly 100v models, though.

I own two, one is my main deck and the other is a parts unit just in case. Mitsubishi DP-EC2, they come up on ebay once in a while. It was $450.00 new in 1978, and it's a very quality unit that just keeps on playing. Not many have had the chance to listen to one, but those who have can attest to why I love it. The DP-EC1 was technically the TOTL, but the only difference is it has an electronic switch for 33-45 whereas the EC2 has a manual switch. Of course I'm biased, but objectively it's a hell of a piece of equipment.
Mancave.jpg

I own two, one is my main deck and the other is a parts unit just in case. Mitsubishi DP-EC2, they come up on ebay once in a while. It was $450.00 new in 1978, and it's a very quality unit that just keeps on playing. Not many have had the chance to listen to one, but those who have can attest to why I love it. The DP-EC1 was technically the TOTL, but the only difference is it has an electronic switch for 33-45 whereas the EC2 has a manual switch. Of course I'm biased, but objectively it's a hell of a piece of equipment.
Mancave.jpg

The DP-EC8 is gorgeous too.

Hey Mitsuman, a guy in my dorm had a Mitsu receiver like that, love the rotary tuning!

I have a big old Pioneer PL-520 DD full auto that I love but it's silver. I don't think it would be hard to paint a silver TT.

So what would be a few model suggestions that are not Technics? (my wife hates silver components, and to be honest, I much prefer black or wood finish as well for a turntable) I'm not a brand snob, don't care what the label says, as long as the thing sounds reasonably good.

Looking for something anvil like, no sensors or chips to go bad, nothing to break, super reliable, set and forget. Also, something I have a reasonable chance of finding out in the wild, no TOTL, 221v, Uzbekistan only, handmade by Santa's elves models either. Can you guys throw some models out there that I should keep an eye out for?

Sansui SR-636
images

Should fit most if not all your requirements. :)

Back
Top Bottom