Reliving my childhood with an ATC 70...

HyKlas

Walked in to my usual Saturday morning swap meet and glanced at what I thought was the Tomy Honda ATC 250R Powerwheel type thing I saw last week. Bought a couple records, browsed around the rest of the swap meet, and walked that direction again on my way out. This time someone was standing there saying "Nice, a Honda. That's a good one." so I took another look. To my surprise, sitting where I thought the Tomy had sat, was a beautiful 1985 Honda ATC 70.

I had to have it... This was my first ATV as a kid, got one new for Xmas when I was 4 years old. Gave the cord a little tug to check compression, popped the fuel cap to see how much rust we were dealing with, then off to find the gentleman selling it. $350 later I was the proud owner of one of the cleanest ATC 70s I've seen since that new one was parked next to the Christmas tree 32 years ago. Even has the plug wrench hiding up above the grab bar. :thumbsup:

Can't believe I walked right by this thing and wandered around the swap meet for an hour while it sat there waiting for my return.

Ordered a carb kit & air filter (foam), have the tank soaking in cider vinegar, and got all new fuel lines from the hardware store. Carb kit should be in on Monday and I expect to be romping around the back yard by Monday night.

So damn excited about this stupid little thing I can hardly stand it... Pictures are after a quick Windex wipe-down.

20171125_100106.jpg

20171125_100116.jpg

20171125_100126.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you were not kidding, that thing looks brand new. I did not know they made any that small. That must have been one of the last they produced. I vaguely remember something about them being dangerous and they stopped production and started building the 4 wheel type....correct?

My dad and his work buds got 6 K3 90's in 1973 and used to friday/saturday night race at the 'dumps' by the WTAE station near pitt. I was 9 and my dad taught me to ride so when they raced for beer, I could beat the others, being smaller.

The rest is history. I didnt get my first quad until 91 when I invented this handle... 90's, 110's, 125s, yamahas also. the 70 was the one I never had...

Almost tempted to not ride it being so clean... Nah, I'm gonna ride the hell out of it! But nobody else is...

I got one of these at 4 (1985) then took a long hiatus before getting a Banshee some time in the mid 90s. I've had nothing since moving that along somewhere around 2000. Been keeping my eye out for a clean '85-'86 ATC 250R from time to time but haven't seen the right one yet.

As for this one... Changed the oil, lubed the chain, and gave the tank a gallon of cider vinegar overnight. Got some chunks out but nothing crazy. Already knew I was dealing with a little bit of rust in there. Will be putting a couple filters in-line anyway... Pretty much set for the carb rebuild and throwing it all back together.

your enemy is going to be the E10 all gas pumps have...some stations, like flying J, sell pure gas in the rv island....nothing about the fuel system will be alky tolerant

Think it's okay to run F&L SP-4 in it? We always have that around the shop for the drag car... It's leaded 114 octane. If not, I can grab some of the Xtreme 100 unleaded. This thing just sips fuel so the expense isn't that big of a deal...

Awesome! I wasn't allowed to have one when I was a kid- nor a minibike, dirtbike, or four-wheeler, When my wife and I bought our new place with miles of logging roads and power lines out back I found a 185s for $300. Had my fill of fun (and near-misses), learned about wrenching, then passed it on to the next grown-up kid.

Nice find! I have a handful old school mini bikes and dirt bikes. I still have a Honda big red 250 ATC 1985 . The thing a beast ! Enjoy that thing.... remember the little ones are more dangerous than the big ones.

Sure is pretty!! You will have a blast reminiscing on those glorious childhood days.
I always wanted a 3 wheeler and when I finally got the scratch to buy one I got one of the first Honda 350X's that came to the local dealer. Was waiting on a 250 but the 350 came in first and I couldn't wait. Man, they are a lot of fun.

Lots of good memories... A few not so good but still fond ones as well.

My first injury was riding on the back of my neighbor's Big Red. He had telephone poles sticking out of the ground to slalom his horses through and we were doing the same on the trike. Had my feet sticking out and caught one. Sprained my ankle pretty good.. Thinking back, I was very lucky I didn't break it.

Now the 350X story... I was on my 70, cruising around the makeshift track we built in the field next to the house. I wasn't aware my other neighbor was out there on his 350... I came around a corner one way while he was coming the other way. We know where this is going... We both went flying in opposite directions... No injuries that time but I assume it could've been pretty bad.

Getting the rest of the parts in today. Had a leaky petcock and bought a NOS on/off switch just to spruce it up. Maybe get around to it Wednesday night...

Be careful. My neighbor just relived his childhood with a Honda 90.
He's rolling up and down the street in a wheel chair with a leg cast now. Beer+Honda 90+ popping weelies=pain. :rolleyes::biggrin: Cool find, have fun!

Back
Top Bottom