Remember the JATO powered '67 Impala?

did you see the Myth busters when they recreated it.

Not true!

I would have wanted to see them light all 3 of the rockets they had at once and just crash the car into a shear rock face or something :) *boom!*

Haoleb did you read the story I posted? It really did happen, but not like it was in the Darwin Awards thing. This is the story of the real JATO car.

I read the whole story and enjoyed it very much!
Very interesting and the author isn't too bad of a writer either.
Makes me long for a job salvaging govt. surplus.
The killer is the father forgetting he had the parachutes though.
Would be just my luck!!
Thanks for the link

Take care,
Tal

Love that "Mythbusters" show. The bald-headed guy w/the walrus moustache-doncha wish you had an uncle like him when you were a kid? Quiet, studious, and all the while dreaming up stuff to get into nice clean trouble. I can believe the JATO car story-just as I believe if a certain bunch of AKers ever got together, we'd probably concoct something as wild. Always wanted to make a trebouche-& see how for you could sling a commode. Or being this is AK, gathering up a bunch of Really High Quality Stereophonic Equipment (Yorx, Broksonic, Clarion, Audiovox-you get the idea) & lettin' it fly. HehHehHeh -Sandy G.

I read the whole thing, and I'm still not quite convinced. Lots more details than the Darwin Awards version, but still, anyone could spin a yarn like that.

1. He said the end of the rails (the launch site) was 1.9 miles from the mine shaft, yet he described in detail what happened when the car hit the mine. Could you be an eyewitness to a crash if you watched it from almost 2 miles away?

2. He claims to have had not one, but four JATO rockets! What is the likelyhood of the Army auctionong off four live rockets by mistake? He never said what happened to the other three either.

3. He bashed the Darwin Awards version for lack of a town name, highway number, etc. yet wouldn't provide either with his story. Again, we're left with a story (albeit much longer) set in the anonymous desert of the American Southwest.

It may have happened, I really don't care. But these were the sticking points from a skeptics point of view.:)

Back
Top Bottom