Remembering American-made hand tools

IMO Snap On blows

I'm stuck with about 150 dollars worth of broken Snap On 1/2 inch drive allen sockets that I can't get replaced unless I ship em because the Snap On guy won't come to our plant. The Mac guy shows up every week though. This thread is about hand tools but let me say this about Snap On. My opinion and experience. They are way overpriced and the new stuff is'nt worth it. I had a 250 dollar Snap On pnuematic angle die grinder last about 1.5 years on the job before it took a crap and it cost me 75 bucks to have it rebuilt then it lasted about 3 months and broke again. No more Snap On tools for me. I'll stick with Craftsman wrenches and Ingersoll Rand air tools. I have a 4 year old IR angle die grinder that cost 70 bucks new. I use everyday at work and it's still going strong.

I have a Craftsman 16 inch, 1/2 inch drive, flex head ratchet that I use at work (industrial use at that) and have had it replaced twice in the past 10 years, no questions asked.

I remember from my Sears experience that we could never keep our 1/2'' Craftsman ratchets in stock. We got ten in each monthly shipment and they went right out the door-new sales? No. These were all warranty replacements. They must break right out of the box. We always tossed our warrantied tools into a bucket in the hardware department, and it always brimmed with those things. Someone mentioned getting a repair kit in lieu of a wrench. We did this sometimes, but we usually would put a new kit into a dead wrench and hand that to a customer. Now the fine toothed ratchets were excellent, so if you wanna go Craftsman get those. We also changed part numbers on tools alot. Bring in a broken five year old wrench? We might 'no longer make that one' and turn you away.

I got in trouble once when I warrantied out about 300 bucks worth of tools that a guy pulled out of the smoking rubble of his shop. The fire must have been intense as these wrenches and sockets were blistered and bent into some neat shapes. Whatever was still identifiable, he got a replacement for. The manager flipped when he saw the total, and pretty much told me I should have turned him away. Forget about the fact that he must have bought thousands of bucks worth of tools there to begin with.

My first Mechanics job in 1981, I took my Moms credit card to Sears and bought $200 worth of tools to get me started. :yes:
Craftsman tools were fine then, a bit large and clunky maybe but reliable and cheap.

I pretty much try to use all Snap On now, though $200 will barely buy two Snap On wrenches today so it takes a while to get everything you need. :D

last new Snap on I bought was a replacement 9/16 combo wrench for one that was "borrowed. Cost me $19.00 for a single wrench and this is at least 15 years ago. Wonderful tools but kinda pricey if you don't earn a living with them.

There was a time my check divided up pretty even between rent/food/beer and Matco/Snap-On. Glad those days are long past.

My last drill purchase was a special 85th anniversary metal cordless from Black & Decker (I love metal :thmbsp: and hate plastic:thumbsdn:, in audio equipment too). This drill is all metal like in the old days, and I wanted it bad, but I never looked at where it was actually made (afraid to look actually). I will live in ignorant bliss hoping that it was made in the USA, but knowing that it might not have been.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/blackanddecker-rd1440.htm

RD1440K_2.gif

Last edited:
I generally used Craftsman stuff. I used the tools pretty hard building welding equipment up to 2005, and when something broke I could stop by Sears on the way home and replace my ratchethammers and screwchisels.

The Snap On truck only came once a week and if I broke one of my Snap On’s I had to wait until then.

I used the really cheap no brand stuff for grinding, drilling, and bending into custom tools.

I think my most used (and usefull) tool was my BFH.

The newest tool I have is a Craftsman table saw that's over 40 years old and is still chugging along without so much as a hiccup as long as I've had it.

I'm glad Craftsman has a good replacement program. My 20+ screwdrivers are still going strong but my 15 month old drivers chip at the blade or gauge as if made of stale saltwater taffy.

Old tool scores are plenty of fun. Glad to find them at flea markets and yard sales.

Old Husky tools

I forgot to mention that I have a small Husky socket set that was given to me by my parents when I was around 14. (that's 35 years) Incredibly everything is still in good shape and I have used it at work years ago before I moved to a position that requires a rollaway cab, sidebox, and top chest full of tools. I think we can all agree that the metal used in the older tools was much better.

The quality and love put into making the old US hand tools is why I seek out the oldies and use them in my work. They're much better use of my money. I still swear by Klein electrician's tools even now.

I remember from my Sears experience that we could never keep our 1/2'' Craftsman ratchets in stock. We got ten in each monthly shipment and they went right out the door-new sales? No. These were all warranty replacements.

My friend was using his Craftsman 1/2" ratchet as a nail driver. I asked if that was good for the ratchet. His reply "shoot this is my third ratchet, it is guaranteed for life. If I break it I just go and exchange it for a NEW ONE" :scratch2:

I always look for American chrome hand tools when I am hunting vintage audio. Just picked up a tool box full of Indestro and Billings box wrenches for 2 dollars.

Yeah Klein......good stuff!
My Grandfather died in 1976.....and I inherited his electricians tool box.
Including.............
6" Klein diagonal cutter
Vaco (Klein) SAE nut driver set
Vaco (Klein) screwdriver set
T&B wire strippers/crimper

To this day.....ALL 100% functional

Steve

I've got a bunch of awesome vintage tools I inherited. In the lot is a set of NOS Black & Decker electric drills. Never opened. These are HEAVY suckers, especially for their size! Solid.

S-K screwdrivers rock. I have a pretty decent Craftsman socket set but yeah, their newer offerings are not as solid as the older ones, naturally. Not that they're junk by any means, just not 'overbuilt' as it were...

Best kept secret in modern screwdrivers

Enderes

A little family owned company in Minnesota.
Snap-On quality.....at Craftsman prices.
You can order from their web-site.....and they ship FAST!!

NO AFFILIATION!!!

Steve :thmbsp:

Here are some good Stanley planes and my old Beaver tilt arbour table saw. That's a 1 HP 1725RPM motor, nothing stops it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom