Remote control for Linux music player?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I have this little laptop that I use for streaming and music playback... Today's project is re-backing up and syncing music files between NAS, laptop, and portable HDD.

I made some off hand remark that I'd probably listen to my library of FLAC rips more on the good system if a) my laptop hadn't stopped recognizing both of my DACs and b) there was an Android phone app that would control a music player program - Often I find myself sitting on the couch playing stuff that I have in FLAC off Spotify because it's just so damn convenient to play DJ that way.

So, question is, *is* there something like that that would work with a Linux music player? I'm running Linux Mint 18.2 if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

I'm not wedded to any particular player. What would be nice is if whatever player I end up will play nice with a HRT MSii or MSii+ without all the fiddling around you have to do in windows to get the laptop to output to the DAC in whatever file you're playing's native resolution.

I'm not wedded to any particular player. What would be nice is if whatever player I end up will play nice with a HRT MSii or MSii+ without all the fiddling around you have to do in windows to get the laptop to output to the DAC in whatever file you're playing's native resolution.
My netbook is running Linux Mint 18. I use squeezelite for my player and once the DAC is setup you never have to set it again. I have used a HRT MSII so I know that it will work. However, you need to have Logitech Media Server (LMS) running either on your player's computer or some other computer on your network. Daphile combines squeezelite and LMS into it's own OS. I run LMS on a server computer from my office. I can control squeezelite from any computer, tablet or phone that is on the same network. I use Squeeze Commander for my Galaxy 7 phone and for my tablet to control squeezelite.

Daphile is a dedicated music player, no web services available short of opening a port for control with a tablet or phone.

I would have thought it possible with kodi,its open source,feature packed,and plays flac as well as everything else you can throw at it.
Though I dont use a remote feature a quick google hints to this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore&hl=en_GB

Way back when it was called XBMC and it was installed on a hacked Xbox I used to be able to access it via an Ubuntu machine or my Samsung TV remote when the TV had PS3 Media Server installed and all was on the same wired network so I expect things to have moved on greatly.

Thanks for that, I just tried Kodi and that seems to do pretty much what I want it to do. Kore is a remote app that works on my smart phone. Hint: had to web search, hitting "\" allows you to do other stuff on the laptop while music is playing, otherwise Kodi runs full screen.

Now to see if I can get my HRT working again.

Update: Kodi/Kore and my HRT MSii are all playing nice together. Haven't tried the ii+ yet.

Doesn't appear that Kodi is properly reading my tags, but I always navigate through file structure anyway.

Update: Kodi/Kore and my MSii are all working together. Tried Radiohead's latest and it switches to 48k correctly. Only thing I don't like is that you have to cue up each track individually, you can't open a folder with an album and have it play through. Will play with it more.

Look at the Kodi Wiki,that should help,theres a lot of official music information plugins, musicbrainz picard is a great help for tags,theres a core of plugins that are of a great help and eyecandy.
Ive been running XBMC/Kodi for over 10 years,Its rock solid,indeed my early attempts at using chiped Xboxes lead me to run DSL,Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux on them.It opened my world to Linux and for which I will be forever grateful.
Freed from Microsoft,it was a good day when I made the break.
A word of warning only install from the official Kodi repos,third party sites can be a bit iffy and the only way to remove is by a terminal purge.

Update: Kodi/Kore and my MSii are all working together. Tried Radiohead's latest and it switches to 48k correctly. Only thing I don't like is that you have to cue up each track individually, you can't open a folder with an album and have it play through. Will play with it more.
Yes you can,there are many settings to tweak,enable play next song auto in music settings also in settings upgrade your user setting to expert,its likely you are in basic mode.
You must look at the wiki theres a lot going on with it but you will find the features easier and quicker,this will take some time devote in evening to it,its time well spent,A Raspberry Pi is often used as a backbone to Kodi for future reff.

"botrytis, post: 11408598, member: 669"]WRONG - You can control with a web browser - You obviously never used it.

View attachment 1134883

This is a pic from my PC - currently. You set EVERYTHING using a web browser, even updating the program.

Seriously?
Look at the question, and my reply.
Now go boot your Daphile software and get your Gmail....
I've used them all, and stand by what I said. You can't browse the web with Daphile, that's not how it works.
In your defense, perhaps I should have typed "controlled with a tablet or phone or web browser located on another computer and on that computer you can browse the web or get email".
Frankly, you have no idea what I have or haven't used.

Last edited:
I was wondering with Daphile can you surf the web and view emails like a regular OS or is it mainly for serving and playing music?

Daphile is a dedicated music player, no web services available short of opening a port for control with a tablet or phone.

WRONG - You can control with a web browser - You obviously never used it.

I believe beanoil means that there are no additional programs available on the dedicated machine you're running Daphile on. I.e., within the Daphile OS you cannot browse the web, check email, do your taxes, etc. It's headless, after all. You access and control it via browser tab or app from a third party machine under any standard OS and from there can engage in anything that machine's OS is capable of.

You can run Daphile with a screen connected but you'll only see the same interface that appears when accessing it from a web browser and you cannot engage in other activities outside of that player interface.

You can control your desktop from your phone. This is mine on Ubuntu.

Screenshot_2018-04-09-22-18-00.png

Last edited:
I'm sitting at my desk and controlling my music playback with a cast-away crappy no-brand Android tablet that I got for free. I could, optionally, control playback from my iPhone or iPad. I've got a PC connected to by USB to my DAC. The PC is running mpd (music player daemon), a Linux program that allows the PC to serve up music from a network attached storage drive connected to my modem. Playback can be controlled from any device attached to the network: laptop, smart phone, tablet, etc.

Back
Top Bottom