removing 2385 chassis plate to sand and repaint

maclvrbr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
recently acquired this receiver with some rust areas. I want to remove the chassis bottom sand and paint. has anyone done this before? If so please chime in with suggestions. Any threads?

I just did it with my 4240. Used a Dremel with a wire wheel brush, fine sandpaper and used Schwinn Bicycle aluminum spray paint. I sprayed the paint into a tuna can and applied it with a cotton swab.
DSC_2058.JPG DSC_2059.JPG DSC_2061.JPG

Last edited:
I am having an issue removing the amplifier board and heatsink as a whole unit. I have disconnected the plugs on the side and removed the screws but there are wires tha I think coming from the filter caps to the output transistors still attached. Any ideas how to best disconnect them? thanks

They are just tywrapped to the output sockets wires.
Cut the tywraps and the amp module will come right out.
Make sure you take pics or make a diagram of all those plugs so when you go to reattach them they’ll be correct.

Bob

Do you guys have any suggestions as I am removing the filter caps from chassis and the solder holding the bracket to each cap must be a different kind as my iron will not melt it onto the wick. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 19
Happy 4th to you guys. I reinstalled the amplifier and heatsink assembly. After turning the unit on I do not have any output from any source. I labeled plugs but wonder if I possibly turned one 180 degrees accidentally I will attach photos if you guys see anything wrong ( wiring) please let me know.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 24
Do you guys have any suggestions as I am removing the filter caps from chassis and the solder holding the bracket to each cap must be a different kind as my iron will not melt it onto the wick. Suggestions?

Try adding a little fresh solder to the joint THEN remove it with wick. Old trick.

It looks to me like you have it hooked up correctly, but my eyes are not what they used to be.

amp (1).JPG amp (2).JPG amp (3).JPG

Attachments

• Amp.JPG
    Amp.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 11
  • amp1.JPG
    amp1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom