Removing a polyurethane (poly) finish within seconds with no chemicals, liquids, etc.

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Eywadude, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

For those of you who are interested in stripping the polyurethane (poly) finish off of a guitar/bass/whatever, I recently found a few videos with this technique on YouTube. Looks pretty damn sweet to me. I have a poly-finished guitar I have always wanted to refinish, but never attempted it because I didn't want to deal with chemicals or have to sand through the thick finish on it, which would have taken forever and created a ton of dust.

If this works as shown, it looks like I should be able to take the finish off in no more than 10-15 minutes with this technique, tops. I won't use a metal scraper for removing the finish though. I'll probably just use a plastic dish scraper with a semi-sharpened edge on it to get underneath so it doesn't mar the wood.

I'm still not sure when I'll get around to trying this, as I am not ready to do a build right now, but I thought I'd share this technique with everyone. Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Scout2015 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator Subscriber

Thanks for posting this:thumbsup:
    My right arm is incapacitated right now so all projects on hold but when I do get back to them I'll be giving this a shot.
    I used a heat gun to remove the face off a headstock so I could glue on a burl veneer and it worked great!
    I don't know why I didn't think of trying it on the body. The cavities are the hardest to get to and this looks like it should do the trick.
    One thing I've noticed is the sealer used on guitar bodies doesn't respond to stripper.
    Hope this will take care of that. If not it's still a lot less sanding to do.

Eywadude likes this.
  3. Scout2015

Scout2015 Member

I'm so trying this. My guitar is pink :no: I hate pink. If I screw it up too bad, guess I get to buy a new one....bummer :idea:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Eywadude likes this.
  4. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Yeah, it should work well for cavities too. It just bubbles up and away from the body, so it should be pretty easy to remove. I'm not sure if a heat gun will have the same effect on the sealer, unless it's a plastic poly finish as well, but worst case scenario, like you said, it will be a whole lot less sanding! :) That was the biggest deterrence in moving forward with the project I have is all the sanding I thought I was going to have to do. I'm really looking forward to trying this and when I do I'll keep everyone posted. Cheers. :)