Removing Bose 901 VI front grills?

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a pair of 901 VI's with stands today for $50. Will have to get an EQ. One of the grills has the Bose badge upside down (or should I say in a bottom corner, the other is in the upper corner). Also one front bottom corner had a little damage. How do you get them off with out damaging the finish or the grill? I'd like to flip the one grilll over & also check to make sure the surrounds are ok. The rear look fine. Did Bose offer colored stands? These are painted light tan that somewhat matches the light wood finish, but there are a lot on scrapes showing black underneath. They are also painted tan inside the top & bottom. I may just strip this off and go back to all black.

Attachments

• P9190014.jpg
    P9190014.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 86
  • P9190015.jpg
    P9190015.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
The Bose badge is designed so that you can turn it, so it can be read right side up, whether you hang the speaker from the ceiling or rest in on a pedestal. With the Series VI, there is no difference between the left and right speakers. When either speaker is sitting on a pedestal, the Bose logo should be in the lower left. So one of your grills does appear to be upside down! Either that, or the whole speaker is upside down.

Brand new Bose pedestals are black. In the past, they were also offered in white, tan and chrome. You have the early Bose 901 Series VI, ca. 1987, which are tan with tan pedestals. I never realized that there was black paint underneath. Maybe Bose painted over the black pedestals that came with the Series V, or maybe an owner repainted them.

If the rear surrounds are good, then the fronts should be good too. I believe that the front grill is stapled on, with many hard-to-see staples, so it is hard to remove without damaging it. You seem to already have discovered that the rear grill is easy to take off and put on.

But the most important issue is, how did you obtain this system for only $50?

I saw them sitting in the back room at a local thrift, they had not put them out yet. I asked about them. they said how about $50. Sure, you bet! About the upside down grill, it does not look like it's been removed. Wonder how it got in the wrong end. :scratch2:

For $50 bucks, feller' you stole those. You sure did get a good deal though!
Could be the reason why one of the grills is "upside-down" is because 'maybe' the previous owner had already removed the grills to either inspect, repair or replace the drivers? Either way care should be taken when removing them.

Gary7 is right! I myself bought a pair of Bose 901 Direct/Reflecting speakers, piano black finish, on pedestals with the amp built into the main pedestal, also the Lifestyle Tuner and remote came with the speakers, all for $200 at a local thrift store, isn't the first time I'm seeing old Bose systems at thrift shops. Good find Gary!

Bose 901 re-foam, etc.

There is an excellent video on YouTube from Simplyspeakers.com that shows you how to remove the grills and runs you through a re-foam demonstration for 901s. Don't know the link, but if you search there for simplyspeakers.com you'll probably find it.

I saw that video. I found the 6 staples holding the grills on ( 2 on each side, 1 on each front side, tiny little things). I might just leave them be. Now I just need to find the correct EQ for them. And repaint the stands.

I saw that video. I found the 6 staples holding the grills on ( 2 on each side, 1 on each front side, tiny little things). I might just leave them be. Now I just need to find the correct EQ for them. And repaint the stands.
hi,do you know what tools they used?

Got photo?

Amps were located in the pedestals

bose_901__powered_direct_reflecting_speaker_system_service_manual.jpg

Discontinued product : http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/bose-901-powered-speakers-p1397

Back
Top Bottom