Removing faceplate on Kenwood KR-4200

jimbofish

for TRULY GREAT MUSIC
Subscriber
Anyone know the trick to removing the faceplate on a KR-4200? I've taken off the case and bottom cover, removed the knobs and nuts from the shafts, removed several metal brackets from the sides and top of the FP, but it still won't come off. It's loose but seems to be attached somewhere along the centerline horizontally. I can rock it back and forth at the top and bottom. Can't see any screws that are still holding it though.

I've searched the forum and the database but can't find anything about it. I just want to remove it to clean off the back of the dial window.

Anyone know the trick to removing the faceplate on a KR-4200? I've taken off the case and bottom cover, removed the knobs and nuts from the shafts, removed several metal brackets from the sides and top of the FP, but it still won't come off. It's loose but seems to be attached somewhere along the centerline horizontally. I can rock it back and forth at the top and bottom. Can't see any screws that are still holding it though.

I've searched the forum and the database but can't find anything about it. I just want to remove it to clean off the back of the dial window.

It has been awhile since i removed my faceplate on a KR-9400. If I remember right, if you look on each side in the middle, approx 1/2 inch from the front of faceplate, there is a screw each side. If you dont remove these, the faceplate will rock like you say. Take a look and see if yours has the screws as well. Mine has wood side panels which needed to be removed to access the screws. Not sure about yours.

I did manage to get it off at last. What was holding it was the foam gasket at the bottom of the dial glass. Don't know if it was supposed to be adhered on both sides or if it just happened with time and heat. :scratch2: The bracket it was stuck to had screws that were behind the glass so it was impossible to remove them without removing the glass first.

Not yet... I just got it cleaned up and tested. There was at least 1/4" of dust and dirt on the inside that I had to clean out first. Just got it back together to run last night. The rubber casing on the lamps has gone hard and they break apart when removed. If you look closely they are marked on the back around the wires. I believe they were 8v, 0.3a.

I found this unit on top of a trash can last week, along with a Garrard Zero 100S turntable. It wasn't quite as filthy as the receiver was. :no: The TT had a Shure M91ED cart but the stylus was gone. By chance I had a replacement stylus that I ordered by mistake in Dec that was the correct replacement.

All the controls were noisy in mine too. I still have some distortion in the tuner that may just be more dirt. The phono input sounds very nice to me. It was missing the speaker selector knob, which I suspect was lost somewhere between where it had been stored and the trunk of my car. Two of the knobs were loose enough to slip off easily and the shaft under the missing one was the only clean spot on the receiver. :sigh:

Sounds like it had a bit harder life then mine,surprising that some of the lights still work on yours and mine are all out.
Mine had very little dust inside,not much corrosion or anything else either.
The boot on the ''stereo" light starting coming apart when I tried to pull it out but the rest are still pliable and came out with a little effort undamaged.
Just a few squirts of cleaner and it was singing happily,guess I should attempt bulb replacement for the first time.:D

The boot on the ''stereo" light starting coming apart when I tried to pull it out but the rest are still pliable and came out with a little effort undamaged.

Same thing I experienced.

guess I should attempt bulb replacement for the first time.:D

Those actually look fairly easy to replace... The solder terminals are easy to get to and pretty hard to overheat. The hardest part will be finding replacement lamps. I don't see anything on dgwojo's webpage that look anything like them... and the stereo lamp is different.

Are these good units when working? I have one sitting in the basement but have never plugged it in.

Back
Top Bottom