Removing "Mortite"

WntrMute2

I scored a Thorens TD 124 from a friend not long ago and am planning on a full restore. However, the friend's father packed the thing with what I believe is Mortite. It is packed into all the little nooks and crannies. Thoughts on removing this stuff? I was planing on bead blasting or something similar to get the paint off the top surface but this complicates matters greatly! This table has sentimental value to my friend and he basically gave it to me so he would have a connection to his dead father.

Popular science 1943, Mortite is a very porous non synthetic made from minerals, used to make plastic injection molds because nothing sticks to it. This substance can be rolled out flat and used as a deadening material to fight resonance on ineffective turntable pilths but not the internals of electrical equipment.

The only possible way to remove this compound is to remove the top cover and stuff with absorbent rags, place a large baking pan under the receiver that can hold liquid.

Keep absorbent rags wet with mineral spirits.....found at the hardware store !!!!

The idea is that Mortite is a mineral compound and in its original state contained mineral spirits and once the mineral spirits evaporated the main ingredient titanium hardened up.

You....or your friend are going to have to constantly check back on the evaporation rate of the mineral spirits to keep the absorbent rags wet.....like right before you go to sleep, because if the rags dry out your back to square one.

This is old school technology so this process will take a long time....

After the Mortite becomes a putty, I’d use a pressure washer to remove the majority then follow up with mineral spirits to remove the residue.

Good luck.....

I got a good sized chunk off of the armboard and plopped it into some mineral spirits. In about 30 minutes, the Mortite was soft and dissolving. In less than an hour there was nothing left solid and the mineral spirits were milky. I think I'll disassemble the hardware as much as I can, remove what I can dislodge with some clay working tools and then let it sit in a bath of mineral spirits. Probably at least a few repetitions will be needed but I think I can get it clean. Maybe, I hope.

I wish you luck in making that table less-tite! Most of it will probably chip off. It has to have lost any adhesion by now. Clay tools and dental picks will probably get 95% of it.

Mugs has some clay-work hoop tools you can borrow if needed.

I have a multitude of scrapers from my automotive days.

This one could be handy.

I could drop them off Tuesday if needed.

IMG_1892.jpg IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1892.jpgIMG_1893.jpg

Back
Top Bottom