Removing old foam from RS625 IMG cones

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by avguytx, Aug 27, 2018.

1. avguytx

avguytx AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've refoamed tons (well, not literal tons, of course) of woofers, mids, etc., but I don't recall ever doing a pair of the Infinity IMG cones so I thought I would ask this here. What's the best and safest "chemical" for removing the leftover foam and adhesive on some Infinity IMG cones? I've used MEK on frames in the past and on some thicker paper cone woofers...outdoors, of course. But, that stuff is quite strong and I'm not sure how it would react on them and I'd rather not eat the cones up. My Quantum 3's are Watkins paper cones and the RS-IIIb's are poly and they were fairly easy to work with.

So what say ye Infinity fans? I've got 2 woofers and 4 passives (potentially) to do.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Brunt

Brunt New Member

I've used rubbing alcohol in the past with no ill effects on several IMG graphite woofers. It doesn't do the best job of cleaning every little bit of the old adhesive off but it got all but the thinnest layer of the super hard stuff off with enough q-tips and rubbing. I've done it on a pair of CS3007s and 2 pair of Infinitesimal 4s with good results all around.

I'm sure there is a better adhesive remover out there, and MEK might even work. I just used rubbing alcohol because its what I had at the time and it worked well enough. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more/better info soon though.

3. avguytx

avguytx AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's not so much adhesive as what appears to be part of the original foam, or something, on the outer edge of the cone. Then there's something on the back side, too. I'll try to get a picture later. Thanks for the reply.