1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Removing smoke smell

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by PJ62, Jul 20, 2018.

1. PJ62

PJ62 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just bought some used binoculars via the auction site, and they are perfect for my needs with one exception-they obviously belonged to a smoker. I really want to keep these binos, but the smell makes me sick. Anyone have suggestions on a useful way gthey've tried for removing the odors from the binos, strap and the the Cordura case they came in?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

It will be interesting to hear suggestions, as it seems you have three very different objects to deal with. Until I hear something clever, I'm wondering if the only fix for the case would be discarding it (if the smell is on the inside).

3. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

Honestly if I were you I would file a NAD report and try to return them. But if you’re hell bent on keeping them I’ve heard just leaving things out in the sun can help remove cigarette odor.

4. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I'd personally probably plan on ditching the strap and case and concentrate on the binoculars. I'd probably start by cleaning everything off with a sort cloth and mild detergent if you haven't done that already. I'd leave them in the open air as much as possible.

I have a family member that seems pretty convinced that using diluted lemon juice will remove smoke smell and body odor from car seats. I've never tried it, but he used to do it pretty regularly when buying used work trucks.

Do you have fairly tightly fitting lens covers? My biggest concern would be doing anything that might affect the lens coatings.

After a good basic cleaning, I might try putting them in an enclosure, bag or box of some sort with the binoculars and a small bowl of lemon juice.

I've never tried any of that. Just thinking out loud.

With guitars and amps, I usually clean them, rub some fabric sheets in them and hope for the best. I've never tried to remedy a smoky guitar strap.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

An ozone generator would take care of it, but who has one of those sitting around? (They work good on a used car previously owned by a smoker, as long as the air is kept circulating inside.) Keeping everything in a tightly closed bag with a bowl of activated charcoal I've heard will work on removing odors from some items as well. I don't see spraying or wiping it with anything, as all that could be happening is trying to substitute one smell for another.

6. sfox52

sfox52 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Activated charcoal is a good suggestion, also fresh ground coffee ( unless you hate the smell of coffee!)

Please register to disable this ad.

7. PJ62

PJ62 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, for what it's worth, I sprayed the case to soaking with some Febrese I borrowed from a neighbor and let it sit outside in the sun for a day. I would say it reduced the stink by at least 50 percent. I will hit it again today and do the strap as well, and see where it goes. The actual binocular, I will try to wash tomorrow with a rag and some dish soap and let it sit in the sun for a couple days.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I would never have thought to just let it sit in the sun....

8. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

Yeah supposedly the UV light that's in sunlight breaks down some of the stink causing molecules.