Ren 80 & 90 Owners

Infinity nutcase.
I just wanted share. I had some time to put my Dayton Audio 10" sub into the mix with the Ren 90's. I thought you needed a receiver or preamp with the sub connections but you don't. I'm always learning.

I tapped the speaker outputs on the back of my amp to the high level output on the back of the sub.

Boy what a difference, took me a few playing with the sub knobs to get the right setting. I think this is the best I've heard to date. It adds just the right amount of thump with that clean fast, tight bass these speakers are known for. Especially with movies ! It doesn't take anything away from IMHO superb imaging.

I'm going to add one more sub and build my own custom TV-Media stand so that I can have the 2 subs on the inside next to each speaker front firing. I've got limited space but I think this is really going to work well.

If you've not yet tried a sub with your Ren's, Go for it. For me anyway it's amazing. If you've got the 80's I'd say it's almost a must have. I'll share some pics when I get the stand done.

Happy listening :beerchug:

I used a Dayton 12" subwoofer with my RSM's.
And then with my RS II's after I got them.
Then late last year picked up an Infinity IL120S sub, using it with the RS II's now.
I suppose either of my subs would work with my 2.0 Infinitesimals...

I've got the 80s and I would like to try this at some point, but I need to figure out how to do it. I just have a stereo amp. Also I thought you were supposed to set the sub to only handle the lower frequencies, but i have no idea how to do that.

And the room they are in is pretty small...not even sure where I would put the sub... so for now it will have to wait! Thanks for the suggestion, when I get a bigger place, this is a must-do!

I thought it was complicated too, it's really a piece of cake. All you do is tap your speaker outputs. The sub is not using the power, only the signal. Easy peasey.

I'll try to find and post the link when I get home.

I thought it was complicated too, it's really a piece of cake. All you do is tap your speaker outputs. The sub is not using the power, only the signal. Easy peasey.

I'll try to find and post the link when I get home.
Cool, I didn't know that! Cheers

There's a couple ways to use a sub with the Rens.
Note: this is assuming you are using a powered sub.
If your amp only has two channels you could
A) run cables from the amp to the sub then to the Rens
OR
B) run separate cables from the amp to the Rens and another set from the amp to the sub. Yes, that is 2 wires running off each speaker output (red or black).

I have a Crown amp (also a Rotel amp) my cables to the RS II's uses a banana connectors at the amp, the sub has pins at the amp ( I am using option B). The bananas plug into the end of the red/black speaker connectors, the pins slide into the hole in the shaft of the speaker output (loosen the red or black nut) then tighten down.

With a receiver (or an amp with more than one set of speaker outputs) you could run the Rens on channel A (or 1) and the sub on channel B (or 2) with the speaker selector set to A + B (or 1 + 2) or use option A or B as mentioned above.

It is easy, just may be hard to visualize.
Placing the sub properly may actually be trickier.

Back
Top Bottom