1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Ren 80s - broken shorting strap

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by slackie911, Jul 28, 2018.

1. slackie911

slackie911 Member

Hey guys,

So I recently moved houses and in the moving process the "shorting strap" that the previous owner of my Ren 80s had on, broke. You can see the photo here:

https://imgur.com/a/ZktfwWq

Question is, what the heck do I do? Not sure if I can just connect the speakers to my amp (aragon 4004) without and I don't want to try and risk any damage.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

Get another piece of wire, strip both ends, and attach to the binding posts as the old one was. There's nothing special about these straps.

Celt likes this.
  3. slackie911

slackie911 Member

Thanks swechsler

4. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

With the proper tools & skill you can solder it back together. May not look perfect like new but will never break again.

5. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

That looks like solid brass, in theory it could work. Can't hurt to try certainly.

OP, use a needlenose pliers to pull the stub from the old strap out of the binding post, then you can see if it's solderable. Of course, soundwise, I sincerely doubt you'd hear a difference.

6. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

Actually I'd use a utility knife or Dremel tool to cut around 1/8" off the top of the bottom broken post to give access for soldering. Flux it up, use a solder station with a small chisel tip on high heat then hit it quickly to avoid melting anything if possible.

7. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I agree with sweshler, those don't look like the factory post to me. I'd just strip the bottom wire on each side and secure in the binding hole like the top one.

8. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

If the straps are brass, brass has terrible conductivity compared to copper.
    Only 28% of copper.

9. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

yeah, those posts and the jumpers are not stock.

op, just unscrew the broken post completely, then punch the broken bit out with an awl, if it sticks in the speaker-side connecter, get a pair of vise-grips (you can get tiny ones if you need them for 3$ at home depot) and pull it out.

then just use new wire to jump.

Originally, it was a flat bar.

10. slackie911

slackie911 Member

Thanks everyone, I used some needle nosed pliars to pull out the old plug, stripped the wires, and use it to make the connection. Cheers!

11. uvafan420

uvafan420 LiKe It LoUd

Yes, those certainly are not stock.

[​IMG]