Renaissance 90s

The floor spikes finally arrived. At first I thought they were the right size. The first couple went in fairly easy, then the third one was giving me trouble. I took it out and looked at the threads, they were roughed up pretty good. I took the other two out and sure enough, the threads were messed up. I already messed them up so I put the spikes back on. Its holding fine so I am going to leave them there. I'm liking the sound though....

Attachments

• 20171104_174020.jpg
    20171104_174020.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20171104_174742.jpg
    20171104_174742.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
Nice, I tried again to find my originals. they've got to be out back somewhere. I think the originals are about double that height.

I should have had the guy that made mine make a bunch of them to sale (at a very fair price of course).

One of these is the Infinity and the other made by the machinist. Don't mind the silver, they were originally black of course. I liked the silver, so instead of spraying the ones made, I polished out the Infinity spikes.

C7gtXLJ.jpg

Perhaps you can turn the threaded rods out of your replacement spikes and re-tap/replace with the correct threaded rod?

I know I'm necromancing this thread, but since I've found some suitable replacement spikes I thought I'd share with everyone.

Madisound (to which I have no connection other than as a customer) has a wide variety of spikes available in the 1/4"-20 thread that the Renaissance 80 and 90 speakers have. I just ordered a set of six of these, since my Renaissance 90s' rear spikes are missing and one of the front spikes has been broken in half:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tiptoes/feet/feet-yung-yblc-black-chrome-tiptoe-2.15/

They have different heights and diameters available, but these seem to be the closest to the original size. The diameter at the base is 1-1/4", which is larger than the originals (1" diameter), but should just barely fit on the bottom according to my measurements. They come with pads to put under the spikes on hard floors, and the studs that thread into the spikes appear to be removable.

If I need to adjust the angle of the speakers, I'll probably put large flat washers between the front spikes and the speaker. You could also get the slightly shorter 1.5 inch tall spikes for the rear and shim them up to your desired height.

I just picked up a pair of Ren 90s this morning.:) They look pretty good, no dings or big scratches. I'v only just got them home and hooked them up but so far so good. I haven't gotten a chance to hook the monoblocks up to them yet, hopefully I can do that on Monday. I'm curious what equipment you guys would recomend running up stream of them. Also they did not come with the pointed feet, any ideas on where to find some? Or make some?

Sorry, saw you resurrected an old thread. What I get for just occasionally popping in.

p1m4Gi2.jpg

Last edited:
Madisound (to which I have no connection other than as a customer) has a wide variety of spikes available in the 1/4"-20 thread that the Renaissance 80 and 90 speakers have.

Never too late to suggest Madisound kicks a$$. I've bought crossover components from them a bunch of times. Quality at fair prices. Not affiliated in any way, just excellent experiences.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi uvafan I see in your description you have 9.1s and ren 90. Do you have a preference in either one or does one sound better than the other. I may have asked before. There’s some more ren 90s in my area for sale. They want more than I would pay probably for them but might come down some with all the stay at home orders.

Last edited:
@Bahamayellow
I like the rens better then the 9.1, or the 9
They're more accurate, at the cost of some Ooomph in the bass (but again, it's actually inaccurate Oomph)
The HE EMIM is a far better transducer then the polygraph, imo, and the 'midbass' coupler is completely invisible audiowise.

Again, you'll give up a bit of Grunt down low, but beleive it or not, it's inaccurate, at least compared to the Ren 90s.

I was listening to mine last night, and was simply amazed at how damn good these sound!

I forget, how big is your room where the 9.1 are? The one thing about the rens to my ears is they do better in a medium-small room then a big one. They struggle to fill a big room in comparison to my RS IIb.

p.s. you replied within the quote brackets above, so you might want to edit that.

@Bahamayellow
I like the rens better then the 9.1, or the 9
They're more accurate, at the cost of some Ooomph in the bass (but again, it's actually inaccurate Oomph)
The HE EMIM is a far better transducer then the polygraph, imo, and the 'midbass' coupler is completely invisible audiowise.

Again, you'll give up a bit of Grunt down low, but beleive it or not, it's inaccurate, at least compared to the Ren 90s.

I was listening to mine last night, and was simply amazed at how damn good these sound!

I forget, how big is your room where the 9.1 are? The one thing about the rens to my ears is they do better in a medium-small room then a big one. They struggle to fill a big room in comparison to my RS IIb.

p.s. you replied within the quote brackets above, so you might want to edit that.

Thanks jazzy

Jazzy I appreciate your opinions. My room is really small where the 9s are. The would probably replace my 8.1s on the main floor. I don’t think I could get rid of the 9s. I hope I can secure them after this crisis is over for a decent price. This is the second pair I have seen in a year come up for sale.

Hi uvafan I see in your description you have 9.1s and ren 90. Do you have a preference in either one or does one sound better than the other. I may have asked before. There’s some more ren 90s in my area for sale. They want more than I would pay probably for them but might come down some with all the stay at home orders.

Well, I have lived with them both for a couple years now. I don't go by forum posts to often as speakers are as much a personal thing as anything. I buy and listen for myself and buy/keep what I like. I did the same with the K9a amongst others. But, the Ren is an accurate speaker no doubt. Powered correctly though (highly important actually), I don't find the bass in the 9.1s to be inaccurate. Actually it is a huge reason I keep going back to them. They are just a much more powerful speaker. I like classic rock, etc... And that is their specialty. If you were to like classical, jazz, mellow, then own the Rens. The 9.1 is a forever speaker for me, they will never be sold. The Rens, not so much. I simply would not miss them as much. The magic of the Rens is the HEEMIM imo. I do like the Rens, I just need more of what they offer. So I have been on the look out for some black Omegas overseas (as it seems like where they all ended up). That just might be the perfect speaker for me, as it will offer up more bass with the newest design of Infinity's Watkins 12", before Infinity went to crap in the home market. But either are great speakers. They both perform well above their original price points of the time. They do different things.

Thanks for the feedback. I know speakers are all subjective as we all have different ears. It’s funny I have seen all the lines of infinity’s for sale in my state even the IRS gamas but hardly ever see 9.1s for sale at all. Had a chance to get the gammas 5 years ago for a really good price but didn’t have the money. I think that would haven been my end all speaker. I think that’s why I like my 8.1s also. They play every type of music well and no fatigue at all. I’ve listened to these things for 10 hours at a time. I guess will see if the guy comes down on the Rens.

Back
Top Bottom