Repair of deteriorating concrete steps - advice or suggestions?

You got "concrete termites" and they are viscous.
Will destroy steps in a few years. Best bet is to rent a jack hammer and do it over.
I had a similar situation and ended up building all new from pressure treated concrete. Almost looks like wood.

Yeah, the best bet for the long run is total replacement. I had this same issue with a rental property, and "fixed" it a couple times, but if there is any rebar or wire caging in there that has rusted (which there usually is), you are just buying time from year to year. I got lucky in my situation and was able to find an appropriate size pre-fab staircase that worked, so no need to re-pour--just remove the old and set the new in place.

The whole front porch here is a mess. It is a slab placed on top of cinder blocks, dating back to 1940. The problem over the past few years is frost heaving, so there has been cracked mortar, a couple of disintegrating blocks, etc. One crew of goons came out and replaced a couple of the blocks and "fixed" it but now two years later, it's looking even worse. The steps are also concrete, cast very much like the first photo in this thread. I'm afraid that a true repair is going to involve replacing the whole thing...

Project Update:

Scraped, cleaned with TSP substitute and water, hosed, scraped (prodded & poked) again to remove what was loosened up by the cleaning, primered, then painted two coats. The surface is rough in some areas, but everything remaining underneath is stuck down firmly.

The paint is Valspar Porch, Floor, and Patio latex enamel. It is "polyurethane fortified", whether that means anything IDK. It is thick stuff. I have had good luck with Valspar paints from Lowes, sticking with their upper-end products usually.

The color didn't come out quite the way I intended, I may change it when the weather gets decent next year. Still need to caulk under that grey trim board and put a final coat of paint on the hand rail.

Thanks again for suggestions and input :)

DSC02997 rs900.JPG

Last edited:
We learned here that the ice melter pellets actually can melt a precast concrete step. Of course, it doesn't say this on the packaging except in really fine print on the back label. My neighbor's did the same. One day when it was really getting bad, I poked at the top and the whole thing sort of "melted" inward! It was amusing in a way, but, all I could do that day was drag another precast step from the backyard to the side door.

Back
Top Bottom