Repair optical port on Denon AVR 884?

neobium

I was unable to resist a Denon AVR 884 at the local thrift shop priced at $15. It's missing a remote, and someone messed up the closure on an optical port, but otherwise sounds great.

So, while it's not necessary, I'm wondering if there's an affordable way to repair/replace this port/door? Is there a reasonably priced part and way to swap it out?

Attachments

• optical_ports-min.png
    optical_ports-min.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 20
I was unable to resist a Denon AVR 884 at the local thrift shop priced at $15. It's missing a remote, and someone messed up the closure on an optical port, but otherwise sounds great.

So, while it's not necessary, I'm wondering if there's an affordable way to repair/replace this port/door? Is there a reasonably priced part and way to swap it out?

Do you have the equipment and skills to crack into the unit and swap out the failed components yourself? If not, are you willing and able to pay a tech to do it for you? If yes to either or both of these questions, let me know here, PM me your shipping address, and I'll be happy to send you a spare board containing the same (I assume) optical connectors as your failed ones (looks like #3 is not quite right as well as #2's obvious problems). Good luck.

P.S. If all you need are optical port plugs to "fill up" the gaping hole(s), just let me know: I've got a bag full of them.

Last edited:
Order some Toslink optical dust cover plugs from eBay (none mine). You can find them for less than a buck a piece. Plug one in, and the port is sealed.

Do you have the equipment and skills to crack into the unit and swap out the failed components yourself? If not, are you willing and able to pay a tech to do it for you? If yes to either or both of these questions, let me know here, PM me your shipping address, and I'll be happy to send you a spare board containing the same (I assume) optical connectors as your failed ones (looks like #3 is not quite right as well as #2's obvious problems). Good luck.

P.S. If all you need are optical port plugs to "fill up" the gaping hole(s), just let me know: I've got a bag full of them.

Ideally, my preference is to replace the ports, not just plug them. I'm sending you a PM.

Oops! Looks my the specific optical ports used in your AVR1804 (more usual version of 884) are not in my spare parts inventory. Sorry I can't help with hinged replacements, but I CAN send you some port plugs if you want to go that way.

Back
Top Bottom