Repair Shop in Atlanta?

leemelone

My SX 1050 started going in and out of protection last night. It plays for a little while and then starts cutting in and out. There's also a little static occasionally in the right channel. You can hear the relay cut back in and it plays for awhile and then cuts out again. It's above my skill level to fix it. I called the only two places I could find locally with a google search. One wants $250 just to start and the other place say it will take 2 to 3 months to get to it. Does anyone hear know of anyone in Atlanta that can repair it with charging me a fortune?

PM "HBrown" he lives in Georgia, he has a 1050 and has repaired/refrib'd his unit, he might be interested in helping you out.

Not really, he is retired and does some work as a hobby. However, a friend is going tomorrow and will pass the thread along.

I had Modular Electronics in Roswell restore my SX-1250 earlier this year, I am pleased with the results. I don't know if that was one of the firms you contacted or not, and it did take about 3-4 weeks before the job was completed. They did more of a restoration, rather than a repair. But, I bought the SX-1250 new in 1977 and with age, it developed several issues. It certainly sounds like new now.

Good luck

I had Modular Electronics in Roswell restore my SX-1250 earlier this year, I am pleased with the results. I don't know if that was one of the firms you contacted or not, and it did take about 3-4 weeks before the job was completed. They did more of a restoration, rather than a repair. But, I bought the SX-1250 new in 1977 and with age, it developed several issues. It certainly sounds like new now.

Good luck

I did contact them and they told me it would take 2 or 3 months to get to it. What did they do to your 1250? Was it expensive?

Last edited:
I did contact them and they told me it would take 2 or 3 months to get to it. What did they do to your 1250? Was it expensive?

As I recall the total charge was around $500.00 for the electronic restoration of the SX 1250.. They did a complete recap and some transistors were changed. They also upgraded all of the dial lights to LED's. The gave me a 6 month warranty on parts and labor. I have not had any issues since getting the unit back. There were no cosmetic issues to deal with, as this unit was very clean. The receiver now sounds as good as it did the day I took it out of the box as new.

I am just getting back into "my" vintage audio with some of my equipment that I purchased new. They also restored a 40 series TEAC reel to reel machine I purchased new in the '70's They did a mechanical restoration and recap. I am satisfied with the work they did on both units.

If I remember correctly, they told me 5-6 weeks, but they were slightly quicker than that, judging from all of the high end equipment in the shop waiting for service, they have no shortage of work. I live in Tennessee, and it is a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive for me.

I paid a deposit when I dropped the units off, and they contacted me with an estimate of the cost after their initial inspection. I thought their charges were reasonable, but I did not take the units anywhere else for inspection.

I am not affiliated with this company, and just offering up my experience. Again I am new to this site, but I am really enjoying getting my components back into operation and having a vintage system with equipment I bought new over 40 years ago. I guess that really means I am OLD.

I hope my experience is of help to you.

Good luck!

If you haven't found anyone yet, I can recommend Robert Cunningham who runs Audio Exchange in Chamblee. He has done work for me on a McIntosh MAC1900 receiver along with a VTA ST-70 tube amp and refoamed some old Infinity speakers. Plus I purchased a McIntosh MX-117 tuner/preamp from him. Usually quick turnaround and a nice guy. Give him a call, I am sure he can fix you up.

http://audioexchangeinc.com/

If you haven't found anyone yet, I can recommend Robert Cunningham who runs Audio Exchange in Chamblee. He has done work for me on a McIntosh MAC1900 receiver along with a VTA ST-70 tube amp and refoamed some old Infinity speakers. Plus I purchased a McIntosh MX-117 tuner/preamp from him. Usually quick turnaround and a nice guy. Give him a call, I am sure he can fix you up.

http://audioexchangeinc.com/

Thanks for the reply. He is the first person I contacted and wanted $250 initially with any repairs to be extra. Luckily my 1050 stopped going in to protection after I cleaned the tape monitor switches really good. It's been working great without any issues at all. From my research here, it seems to be a common issue with Pioneers.

Back
Top Bottom