Repair technician recommendation in NorCal

fivemeters

Hello everybody,

I have spent some time going through the threads but haven't found any reference to a good Sansui repair shop in Northern California. Does anyone on here have a suggestion?

I have a Au 717 that has a channel out, and I think needs a pretty extensive recap and refresh. My local shop, which I have used successfully in the past, has totally failed me. They've kept the amp for 4 months now and finally let me know that they don't know what to do. It's obviously frustrating, but now I see it as a chance to have the amp well and properly refreshed. I love this damn thing and want to keep going for many years.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Over the years the AK community has been very helpful.

Thanks!

What is it with these local repair shops? Don't know what to do? After 4 months?

I am sure someone will chime in with a good recommendation..

If it's the left channel, it's more than likely the connect-disconnect switch on the back of the unit. A good cleaning of the controls/switches might at least get it up and running.

@Robisme worked on my 9090DB and a Marantz. He is great guy, very knowledgable and has owned and worked on many Sansui and I trust him. If he is up for it, get him to work on it.

You can pay me later, Rob. :)

Thanks for all the info.

Robisme, I'm in the North Bay. Are you near by? Any interest in another 717 project?

I called a few places yesterday and ADK HiFi in Vallejo seemed really knowledgeable. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The gentleman I spoke with is their tech, formerly at NHT (which coincidently just happens to be the pair of floor standing speakers I was given back in college.) He has worked on several amps of this vintage and was familiar with the corrosive glue problem. Honestly, I'm not sure I have that problem, but I've read about it enough that I want someone who knows it can be an issue. Was nice to have someone on the phone say they love these amps want to keep them up, rather then telling me that they will just go component by component because it's not cost effective to do a refresh/recap.

One more question. If I do need a substantial recap/refresh, what ballpark number should I be expecting price wise? 15+ years ago I was offered a full refresh from a San Diego based Sansui enthusiast for 350 bucks, so I've assumed somewhere between 300 and 500. Is that correct?

Thank you all for your feedback, it is nice to have somewhere to turn for trustworthy answers.

Robisme cleaned the controls on my 8080db and it's still sounding great! I fully recommend his services to anyone needing their Sansui looked at. He is truly a knowledgable technician and a stand up guy!

Back
Top Bottom