Repair Work, I'm Getting Too Old

Getting to where I just don't want to do it anymore. Can't get to the two front O2 sensors where I have enough leverage to get them loose. Truck is giving me the cel at least twice a day.

Monday the heat blower motor quit so I got out there in the cold and had to pull the air box, washer/overflow tank, cruise servo out to get to it. Put it all back together and now it doesn't want to start right up, takes it a minute to decide to run when cooled.

My brains tired of computers and sensors and my body aches.

:)

And you're in warmer weather than I am. ;) Up here, once October hits, forget it--anything that gets repaired has to be an emergency, or goes to a shop. I have a few projects waiting for me outdoors, and it's frustrating that I can't touch any of them at the moment. I have no garage space to work in.

My tools are collecting dust now due to some serious injuries from a motorcycle accident. Maybe next year.

Last project (other than building the bike I wrecked on) was replacing the crankshaft position sensors on a type one Olds Aurora. That was fun - you pretty much have to dismantle the beast entirely to get at them. Then again, nothing's easy on that one ... Fun, fun, fun!

I'm wondering what I screwed up when I did the blower ????
It'll be some little wiring harness, buried deep in, where you have to tear apart everything again to get at it. :D

That happened when I changed rear struts in the Acura. First side took a while, but I got 'er done. Second side went way faster--I knew exactly what I needed to do, got it apart, installed the new strut cartridge, reassembled, done! Or so I thought. I found one small spacer washer left on its own, over by the tools. Crap. You never saw anyone tear apart a rear strut so quickly, and cursing it up the entire time. :D I pretty much had to unload the whole stack to put the spacer in and reassemble the strut and spring, so it was basically redoing the entire side.

Last time out, I bought the Quick Struts that were already assembled. It's called being old and forgetful. :D

My tools are collecting dust now due to some serious injuries from a motorcycle accident. Maybe next year.

Last project (other than building the bike I wrecked on) was replacing the crankshaft position sensors on a type one Olds Aurora. That was fun - you pretty much have to dismantle the beast entirely to get at them. Then again, nothing's easy on that one ... Fun, fun, fun!

Seems nothing is easy anymore, got to take apart everything to do anything.

I need to make new heater hoses for the Continental, but its just too cold to fool with it. Those hoses will still be where they are in the spring. I should have done it before it got cold, but I felt like driving instead of working on things. Now its too cold to work on it and there is white stuff on the ground so its not going for a drive.

I keep putting off those O2 sensors, but it's got to be inspected in February. Seems it either rains or get's cold on the weekend, 68 today (Fri) 38 tomorrow (Sat).

4795Bay_FrtHighS.JPG Heart ache/headache/frustration, thy name is Cry-seller.
This is a stock engine bay pic but mine's the same and I do whatever I can on it but my threshold has grown lower over the years. Deal is, even my mechanic hates working on it. When he sees me drive into his shop he just hangs his head like, "Oh, God....!"
He has his going rate and then he has my rate.

The engine bay in our '09 CR-Vs is a little tight in spots (especially over by the drive belts), but a lot of the plastic bits come off easily, so they aren't too difficult to work on. I adjusted the valves in mine and it was a little tricky, as I kind of had to work over the top of the engine to get at the rear valves, but at least there was space to do it. I have to do the timing belt in my kiddo's car this summer, and it'll be a tight squeeze since hers is a V6.

I totally get it though. Sometimes I just look at the engine and shake my head. "Here we go again..." ;)

Aside from the crank bolt, there is one remaining bolt on the intake on the '04 Civic that is impossible to find, right smack dab in the middle, and I have to try to reach it from behind. That will be...frustrating. I had to abandon the job due to the crap Michigan weather. :rolleyes: So it has to wait until April when we'll actually get sunshine and things might start drying up.

View attachment 1390027 Heart ache/headache/frustration, thy name is Cry-seller.
This is a stock engine bay pic but mine's the same and I do whatever I can on it but my threshold has grown lower over the years. Deal is, even my mechanic hates working on it. When he sees me drive into his shop he just hangs his head like, "Oh, God....!"
He has his going rate and then he has my rate.

I'll see your six, and raise you two ... <G>

bob.jpg

Just changing the plug wires on that bad boy is a two day project. I'm sure there's tools I've dropped in there that I'll never see again ... ;-}

You got to Jay Leno it! LOL!

He hated the FWD in his 66 Tornado and put a north-south GM LS engine in it with a Corvette IRS. Easy to work on now!

Which Chrysler product is yours?
A friend has a 97 Intrepid with the N-S 3.5L V6 like that and he doesn't find it too bad!
Sure beats the E-W transverse V6 or rare V8 in most!
Even many 4 cyl ones are nasty as there is no room to get at anything!

RWD based rules! Must be why Ford is seeing the light!

Getting to where I just don't want to do it anymore. Can't get to the two front O2 sensors where I have enough leverage to get them loose. Truck is giving me the cel at least twice a day.

Monday the heat blower motor quit so I got out there in the cold and had to pull the air box, washer/overflow tank, cruise servo out to get to it. Put it all back together and now it doesn't want to start right up, takes it a minute to decide to run when cooled.

My brains tired of computers and sensors and my body aches.

:)

My old Toyota started making noise from somewhere under the bed after the last long trip I took... my basic ten minute troubleshooting tells me it's either the differential pinion bearing, a bad U joint, or the driveshaft carrier bearing. It only gets noisy under heavy load, or after it's been driving a while. I sure don't want any part of those jobs, but then nor do I want a part of paying for them. So I'll put it off until it gets louder, or until I have something to haul and force myself to take it to a shop.

Which Chrysler product is yours?
A friend has a 97 Intrepid with the N-S 3.5L V6 like that and he doesn't find it too bad!
Sure beats the E-W transverse V6 or rare V8 in most!
Even many 4 cyl ones are nasty as there is no room to get at anything!

RWD based rules! Must be why Ford is seeing the light!
LHS, which is very closely related, if not the same as the Intrepid. Actually cars like these are getting fairly rare as no one wants to keep pouring money into them anymore.
Me, I just got a really hard head!

This friend might be getting a nice 85K miles 96 LHS that looks to be rust free that has a short of some type that runs the battery down. and needs AC work for a low price with good Michelin Ice tires.
He will then use his rusty Intrepid for the winter. He likes them as they are nice to drive with good MPG plus no payments.

I am rolling with a 94 Buick I will not say anything bad about it, I bought it what ?? 14 years ago? Anyhow it has been good to me. Got threee seeding tickets just last week. Duh. Means it is still running. I have never owned a new car maybe someday but time is getting shorter as it ticks on. I never cleimed to being a auto mechanic but keeping an older car going is important to me.
Canton.

Back
Top Bottom