Repair Work, I'm Getting Too Old

I never thought about jumping. I guess the bean counters dud the math and figured out their cars were so dependable that the folks this would inconvenience was inconsequential.
One can only hope that they get to experience that inconvenience themselves...

They didn't put jump start posts in the engine bay somewhere? Most things with inconvenient battery locations at least give you that much.

I sill do most of my own at 64 but it's usually oil and brake jobs but you should have seen me wrestle a class 3 trailer hitch on the escape. 4 hours of PITA that wore my ass out. Slept good that night.

when I pulled and re-installed the class 3 on my Towncar I used a pair of floor jacks to do most of the work.

Well, I guess I need to replace my converters, new O2 sensors and still getting P0420. I've seen Magnaflow in HM or OEM, trying to understand this. Sounds like the HM will be okay on a non California vehicle ?

Should be. If its sold as "49 state approved" you're good. Might be worth pricing the stock replacement part, once in a while they're reasonably enough priced that its worth not having to fuss with fitment.

Might be worth looking to find out why the converter died though. They usually last a really long time, but burning oil, coolant, or running excessively rich will kill them.

Should be. If its sold as "49 state approved" you're good. Might be worth pricing the stock replacement part, once in a while they're reasonably enough priced that its worth not having to fuss with fitment.

Might be worth looking to find out why the converter died though. They usually last a really long time, but burning oil, coolant, or running excessively rich will kill them.

I searched the fordparts site first and they didn't come up with anything at all for my vin or 2006 3.0 ranger, only saw for 2.3 and 4.0

The Magnaflows are 410 for the front two and 225 for the rear, all bolt on with pipes. These originals have 350k on them.

I need to crawl underneath again and see if I think I can do it by myself.

that many miles will do it. If it bolts in it shouldn't be too bad as long as the hardware comes apart. I was thinking you may have been looking at the universal fit ones that are just a pipe in and out so it has to get welded into the existing pipes. I really dislike messing with exhaust stuff, everything about it is miserable.

when I pulled and re-installed the class 3 on my Towncar I used a pair of floor jacks to do most of the work.
The way it goes into an Escape you can get it up in the air with a jack but then you have to slide it from right to left and trying to thread it around parts makes it a job better for 2 people. It was just me hence the hassle.

ah, yeah the one under the Lincoln is as easy as it gets. Basically just lift it straight up under the back end of the car and you're good to go.

I hear ya... I'll be 50 this year and still work on all my stuff. Keeping me busy is my 04 Wrangler, 71 Duster project and I work with an NHRA team 10,000 hp nirto funny car at two races a season. Sure I get all sore and banged up but it a good beating! lol

I’d love to see a pic of that ‘71 Duster!
She's got a long way to go....

42308433_1398822980220091_1487086324061044736_o.jpg
36550577_1293413450761045_7105853177383092224_n.jpg
20181020_194244.jpg

Brakes and the like are still done by me but age and complexity of newer vehicles leaves most to those better equipped than i.The days of me changing a c6 tranny in my 77 460 grand marquis in the driveway are long long gone.Still not sure how I did it as it was only me and a small floor jack under there.

I remember putting a clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing in my '66 Mustang (4 speed) by myself.

Actually had to do it twice. The first clutch disk was not the right part!

I tell that story and wonder if anyone really believes it.

I had a mid 80,s chev truck with a 5 speed tranny and way back in the bush a couple of hundred miles from home I fried the clutch.Left it there for a week and went back with a couple of friends and we changed it in a couple of hours and headed home.I hated that 305 piece of junk so I put in a Pontiac 350 and auto tranny out of a late 70,s Parisienne.Then added headers,holley 650 carb and rv cam.Boy did she haul butt after that.The good thing about it was no driveshaft mods needed just a little jigging to add a floorshifter.

The 305 was reliable, but thats about all that can be said for it. Didn't make nearly enough power to justify how much fuel they ate. The 350 got the same mileage but would actually move out of it's own way.

AC compressor clutch failed, looks like the pulley bearing. Damn serpentine belt, you can't just bypass it, can't manuver the thing into any position to get enough clearance for a belt. Right now it's drive able, but if I go tearing into it ? Never know what all it will involve (bearing, pulley, etc). This means I have to get it to a shop and pay to have something fixed that would be less than 100 at most to do myself.

Fell down getting out of bed and carpet burned my knee for starters today.

Blew an exhaust manifold to pipe donut a few weeks back and the old Belair sounds like a tank (it's embarrasing actually). Got a couple of new donuts this week and yesterday was supposed to be the day to tackle the job. Get it up on the ramps in my driveway and douse the manifold studs in penetrant for a few hours so I have a small chance of not breaking them off. Crawl under the car in the dirt and I can't get enough bite on the nut to be able to crack it loose. So much rust on it I think it's a bit bigger than the 1/2" it's supposed to be, not even enough room under there to be able to hammer the socket on the nut. That was the easy one to get at so I guess it's going to my buddies shop to have it done by a pro, I'm getting to old for this shit. Have to get it done soon or I'm gonna get a ticket for excessive noise.

Back
Top Bottom