Repairing a punctured aluminum dome tweeter

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
We've had many threads over the years about repairing tweeters, but I couldn't find any instance where someone repaired a punctured dome.

The speaker in question is a B&W DM602 series II. One dome tweeter was crushed almost completely flat. I was able to remove the diaphragm from the magnet (luckily it has alignment pins) and pop it out from the back, but it still has a puncture where the metal was badly bent. Normally I'd just leave it, but the tweeter apparently has an acoustic suspension design - there's actually a small enclosure in the back. Any idea what I can fill the hole with that won't affect the mass too much? Or am I better off just leaving it as is?

Here is what the tweeter looks like now:

U6wAshh.jpg

Here's a closeup of the dome showing the hole:

s999eY6.jpg

And here's what the whole driver looks like (this isn't the same tweeter I have, but it's similar):

bw_zz13137_fs.jpg

Following this. I have a rogers studio 1a that I want to repair the same way. Maybe some silicon? There is stuff to repair house gutters that is aluminum.

I'd spend the $. B&Ws are nice speakers, and that rumpled up looking diaphragm would drive me crazy.
I would contact B&W. Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Just checked, the diaphragm is NLA from B&W. These speakers are just a set I have lying around, I may or may not decide to use them. I have many other speakers that work fine.

If you're willing to remove the diaphragm again, I'd try a VERY small drop of epoxy on the inside and outside to seal the hole. A toothpick should be a suitable applicator. Otherwise, keep an eye out on eBay for spares.

I've used diaphragms like those linked by the blog author. They work and sound good, but they aren't drop-in. They need to be lined up, which isn't hard, but one should just be aware of that fact.

Don't think I'd bother with the hole. I'd just leave alone it until the correct drop in replacement tweeter can be found or just sell them/part them out as-is.

Don't think I'd bother with the hole. I'd just leave alone it until the correct drop in replacement tweeter can be found or just sell them/part them out as-is.
That's probably what I'm going to do, although I have been watching for these tweeters for a while. This is interestingly the second pair of DM-602s I've got with a squashed tweeter (I didn't squash either, and both sets were gratis), the other is the original series.

Does it sound the same as the non damaged one?I'd be happy that it still functioned at this point and stick the grills on and be done.

Does it sound the same as the non damaged one?I'd be happy that it still functioned at this point and stick the grills on and be done.
I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening yet. My regular office speakers are self-amplified studio monitors, so I don't normally have an amp connected to my signal source (a Windows PC with an Asus Xonar sound card and my music library).

I doubt if the hole will have any effect at all. Just use your finger to push the diaphragm back into a dome-ish shape, and don't worry about it.
It is natural to think that the dispersion of the tweeter is a function of that dome's curve, but it isn't. Dispersion is mostly dependent on diaphragm size, not shape. Obviously the resultant shape won't be as stiff as the original, but when you look at what happens to the dome when playing, you'll realize that what seems stiff at rest is doing all kinds of stuff when in use. You may have improved the driver (probably not).
If it sounds different and worse than the undamaged one, you have a problem. If it sounds the same, leave it be. If it sounds better....

Is it possible to get the support for the dome separately? I am in the process of repairing several aluminum dome tweeters for the rogers studio 1a. So far i have fixed two of them with breaks in the coil. Found a new way to do it. I need a new surround to support the dome on one that had fallen apart. Thanks guys if anyone can help. If you have a dead tweeter (celestion) from this speaker, I can use the parts.

Unless you can hear sensitive frequency levels of a Dog i think a tiny dot over the hole isn't going to sound any different than the damage you have already.
If you can hear the difference between the two you have better hearing than most.
The only time something sounded negative in a tweeter is when i used an aftermarket Diaphragm for a fried JBL.
Looks like an easy task to replace the Diaphragm as the whole tweeter is $108.00 compared to $57.00 for the Diaphragm from B&W..
On the other hand if you simply can't hear any difference than a small seal with the SG snap the grill covers back on and enjoy..
http://bwgroupsupport.com/download/forms

Last edited:
Is it possible to get the support for the dome separately? I am in the process of repairing several aluminum dome tweeters for the rogers studio 1a. So far i have fixed two of them with breaks in the coil. Found a new way to do it. I need a new surround to support the dome on one that had fallen apart. Thanks guys if anyone can help. If you have a dead tweeter (celestion) from this speaker, I can use the parts.

Back
Top Bottom