Repairing cracked Infinity 8" IMG woofer cones

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by shnaggle, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. shnaggle

shnaggle Member

One of my Kappa 6.1 woofers has two cracks in its cone, each about 1.5" long. One of the cracks extends into the silicon surround and adjacent foam. So this crack is one long line from the cone through to the surround foam. I'm considering applying a paper bag "backpatch" for each crack, something I've done for JBL woofer cones with success, but the Kappa cones are a graphite material (and a tiny part of the surround) not paper-type material like a JBL's.

Would this kind of repair for an IMG cone be sufficient, or should I hunt around for another woofer?.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

I'd probably just replace, I've gotten a pair of these off eBay for under $50 shipped.

3. shnaggle

shnaggle Member

My woofer is #902-6194. Are there are other IMG 8" woofers that are compatible with Kappa 6.1 series II?

4. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

Patches can add enough mass to change the parameters of the speaker, better off with a replacement.

5. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

AFAIK that's the only one that will work properly. There are enough of those around that they come up for sale fairly often.

6. Bobbyd38

Bobbyd38 New Member

A small thin bead of Black Speaker adhesive on the Back side of the crack will fix it.

Please register to disable this ad.