Replacement capacitors + id component

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Atv023, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Atv023

Atv023 New Member

Can anyone suggest some good types of capacitors for a crossover?

Also, does anyone know what the smaller capacitor is that is perpendicular to the two larger ones on each side? It is only labeled 5\100v.

Some audio capacitor brands I've seen are siemens mkl, roederstein, BC Philips, Vishay.....

IMG_0245.JPG

2. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

5/100V should be 5uF 100V.

Depending on your budget, you can get any film capacitor to replace the smaller ones (polypropylene are preferred over polyester, but both are suitable replacements). The 47uF, if film, will be quite large, and a bit expensive. I'd get a non polarized (or "bi-polar") electrolytic for that one. Non polarized electrolytic are much cheaper than film caps, you can get all 3 electrolytics if budget is an issue.

Dayton and Solen are known as very good caps for a good price. Bennic is also a known brand for crossover electrolytics. Nichicon "ES" series are also non polaryzed electrolytics. Search the web and the AK sponsors to see where you can buy them. I've got parts from partsconnexion (NO AFFILIATION) due cheaper shipping rates to south america. But a lot of people buy from parts express (NO AFFILIATION) or from local dealers.

You can even use regular motor run capacitors if the uF is the same. They are usually very good industrial quality caps.

NO AFFILIATION: https://solen.ca/product-category/capacitors/dayton-metallized-polypropylene-capacitors/page/2/
    NO AFFILIATION: http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_ele_nichicon_es.html
    http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_ele_nichicon_dbgb.html

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

All of what he said. Film if you can fit and afford, BP electrolytic if not. Most of the time the big ones will be in parallel with the woofer circuit, so slightly less critical (IMO) than the smaller values in series with the tweeter and/or midrange.

4. deltalight

deltalight AK Subscriber Subscriber

4.7uF 450v PP 5% 25.3x11.7x22.5mm(leadspace): 667-ECW-FD2W475J

5. Atv023

Atv023 New Member

All the caps now are polarized electrolytic. Does it matter if they are non-polarized?

I don't know much about crossovers or how they work.

6. BinaryMike

BinaryMike Pelagic EE Subscriber

Electrolytic caps for crossover use MUST be non-polarized.

7. Atv023

Atv023 New Member

Here is a circuit diagram of the crossover. Best I could do.

IMG_0267.JPG

8. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

this is a clearer way to draw what you have :

crossover-example.png

As said, use non polarized electrolytic for crossovers, or film caps. I'd use film for the tweeter, even cheap polyester caps, those generic reddish brown. You can parallel capacitors to achieve a certain value, perhaps 4.7 in parallel with 0.22 or 0.33 to get closer to 5uF (even if I think you won't notice any difference between 4.7 or 5uF). Or, 6.8 in parallel with 3.3 to get 10 uF. Or, 2 x 4,7 will be 9.4, close enough to 10uF.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Atv023 likes this.
  9. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

A lot of lesser speakers did use polarized. NP are what really should go there.