Replacement filter caps for a Yamaha CA-610II from Mouser

dly66

Recapped my Yamaha CA-610II amplifier, a nice Goodwill find at $20. Companion tuner was with it for $10 both had managed to make it to the shelf in good shape. After some scouting the bad channels with a DVM finding a blown driver transistor and with some help from Avionic got it back working shape replacing the driver transistor pairs with Fairchilds and a blown fusible resistor.. Nice sounding amp for the price! :biggrin:

I recapped it and am putting this out there for anybody looking for replacements for the 5 pin filter caps. The old caps were 35 mm in diameter with an expanded ring near the bottom. They have 5 pins in a 25 mm diameter circle. There is gap seemingly for a missing sixth pin. I had searched Audiokarma and past posts had hard time finding suitable replacements. The ones in mine were black Nippon Chemicons. I found these drop in replacements at Mouser. It took some hunting they did not make it easy to find them. I kept digging around in their system. I found them one night and took some effort finding them again. I had written down the part number but some reason putting in the part number was not bringing it back up. They are listed as Unitied Chemicon but the caps received are Nippon Chemicons like my old ones. They fit with a little daylight between them (40 mm diameter), the pins clear board by about 1/8 in, and the pinouts are the same as original.

The Mouser part number is 661-EKMH800VRT103MB5 they are not cheap at $11.90 ea. Right now they seem to keep about 84 in stock. Enclosed are two pictures of them installed. Listening to the recapped amp right now driving a pair of Advent Legacy IIs. Not bad at all.

I hope this post can help others looking for replacements for these amps.

Attachments

• CA-610II filter caps.jpg
    CA-610II filter caps.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CA-610II filter caps 2.jpg
    CA-610II filter caps 2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 34
I've used the UCC KMS series in a yamaha CA-1000, sounds good. I was willing to trade off performance over longevity so didn't go
for the KMH. I've been slightly disappointed with the Nichicon KG, the popular choice. Thought the Nichicon KW's "sounded" better
but that's very subjective.

I wouldn't have worried about the extra mounting pins and would have gone for the Nichicon KW 10000uf/50V and used some sealant
to secure the caps to the board if necessary. The UCC sound good in the CA-1000 so I think you've done OK.

I have some smaller yamaha units, CA-410, CA-710. There is a significant leap in performance at the CA-800 and CA-1000. And again
with the CA-1010 and 2010. Don't pass these up at the local goodwill...

Back
Top Bottom