Replacement filter caps for AU-919

The initial reason for seeking out 105°C capacitors when I first started doing restoration ~20 years ago was that was the easiest way to identify/source low ESR types; today, low ESR types rated at 85°C (typically "Audio Grade" types) are relatively common. The 105°C rating was a "bonus"; this high temperature rating is only really advantageous when a capacitor was installed close a heat generating component (e.g. 5W voltage dropping resistor or a regulator heatsink).

Thank you for all the input. I think I'll be fine going with an 85 degree cap assuming that the ESR and ripple current is good. I'm currently looking at two caps for possible use in the AU-919 oval capacitors. I've attached a PDF of the two caps. Price is close, with the Nichicon being roughly $1.50 more.

These look essentially identical in all specs, except for rated life and the ESR for the Nichicon is not indicated. Ripple for both appears to be excellent and identical. The United Chemi-Con has an ESR of 25 mOhms and a life of 2000 hours, while the Nichicon has no ESR indicated and a life of 3000 hours.

The rated life of 2000 for the UCC and 3000 for the Nichicon would make me think the Nichicon is the better of the two, but the fact that no ESR is indicated for the Nichicon gives me pause, and I don't really know how much of the rated life is marketing and how much is real data.

Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Cap comparison.pdf
    94.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem is that those are out of stock. I think in this case I'm going to go with the UCC KMH series (105 deg. version).
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=8NwJR1mVIepoFw64LLyopA==

They're $12.50 each, but I think the extra $50 or so for all 8 is worth it in this case.

Attachments

• Cap comparison 2.pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom